Thread: Tinman!

Hows business these days?

This year has been the most profitable year ever. We took on more commercial rather than residential. I find commercial more manageable. We man a commercial job with a few guys and a foreman. With residential it's impractical to put a foreman on every job. You know sense of urgency,quick decision making and other such habits. I really needed a year like this especialy after last year. How's business been for you?
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Our business this year was like yours from last year (2003)
    Every commercial job we bid we were low on. Only problem was that every job we got, ended up over budget and cancelled.

Other than that, there was just too many starving contractors out there last year. It seems that every bid that went out, was shopped to another company. Did you bid on that church job in St. Ignace this last fall? (way over their budget)

I have'nt bid anything above the bridge since that DOT project went out for less than material cost. That situation was a little scary. This year coming up should be good. We're bidding some coast guard projects and uncle sam is dumping lots of money in camp grayling. The plan is to make it a flagship base. Have they rebuilt the building at the falls after that fire yet?

I have'nt seen or heard anything about the brewery at Taquamenon yet. They are probably waiting till spring.

We bid a job at Grayling about two years ago. Did'nt have a chance in hell. Apparently some guy near Kalamazoo has done alot of them and knows all the shortcuts. Besides, its over 2 1/2 hours from me.

2 1/2 hrs

We recently finished a job on beaver island. It took 2 hours on the ferry to get there. I ended up getting motion sick. Came over with ten and twelve foot waves. We ended up flying instead. The job was almost like a vacation. I'd like to have more jobs like that one. And our most profitable job to date. I've done quite a bit of work at camp grayling but its been many years. My bids have been coming in close but not close enough. That'll change. Grayling is an hour and a half from our shop, which is fairly close.

I think I am moving North. You guys soubnd busy. I'll come up and do all the markets.

I wouldn't blame you. I don't know of any good refer companies around here except for one. Heck our local grocery store calls a company out of grand rapids.

Talking

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    I think I am moving North. You guys soubnd busy. I'll come up and do all the markets.
    Being away from the "real" cold for so long you probably could'nt handle working outside up here. You've been spoiled with that mild southern Michigan weather.