Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trane XR 11 Defrost board

Post Likes

Angry

All,

I had a Trane XR 11 heat pump installed with the matching air handler. For the second time in two weeks I noticed no heat coming from the vents. I checked the air handler and found the Freon line had snow all over it and the coils in the air handler and the compressor outside were iced over. The first time this happened my installer came out and replaced the defrost board.

Does anyone suspect there is a problem with some other component than the defrost board. I doubt the new defrost board failed as well.

Thanks for your input

PS - I will never own another Trane again. I should have went with the Goodman and saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Post Likes
    Are you operating in cooling or heating?
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Post Likes
    Originally posted by md master
    Are you operating in cooling or heating?
    1)If the outdoor unit is frosted,the system is operating in the ________ mode.

A.Heating
    B.Cooling
    C.Both A.and B.
    D.Neither A.nor B.

Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Post Likes
    Well since he is wanting heat then it should be in heating mode but since it is frosting up inside and out then it sounds like the unit is running in cooling mode. Sounds like an installation error. Unfortunately I can't tell for sure from here but I would let the service or installation manager know of the company who did the install. More than likely the equipment is not defective but the wiring may be. Heat pumps are considered more complicated than most systems out there and there are quite a few, but definitely not all, installers that don't exactly understand how to wire the system up. Especially if they do not install heat pumps every single day. Most likely your problem is simple and you will be happy with your equipment selection.

Out of curiousity why did you go with the 11 seer equipment? Was cost an issue? I am just curious because in almost exactly one year the 12 and below units will be outlawed for sale but not for service because of energy codes and regulations. Like I said I am not knocking you or any one I am just curious. Marketing and stuff you know

Post Likes
    I know you didn't ask me but if I may I can tell you that I went with the XR-11 because I was given the impression that it was a 11.5 seer (from both the Trane promotional materials and the sales rep). I was told that the difference between 11.5 and 13 seer was negligible. That was before I got educated by this site and had I known the XR-11 was really a 10.0 seer or less I probably would have gone with a 13.0 seer Carrier for a few hundred bucks more. Another factor was the 10 year parts and labor warranty from Trane that was thrown in to sweeten the deal. But again had I known then what I know today I would have thought twice about the XR-11.

Post Likes
    )If the outdoor unit is frosted,
    But it weren't

Obviously in cooling mode for some reason. I'm with swat, probably something wired wrong energizing 0 when it shouldn't be.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by heatpumpowner
    I checked the air handler and found the Freon line had snow all over it and the coils in the air handler and the compressor outside were iced over.
    The system IS operating in the cooling cycle. Do you have the thermostat set for heating or cooling? I'm assuming nothing here since our weather is currently about 40° above normal. If you are set in the heating cycle, there is likely a control wiring problem. If you are in the cooling cycle, there could be an air flow problem, low outdoor ambient temperature, control problem, refrigerant or other problems. Sounds like it's time to call and calmly request the firms most experienced tech.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    All

Thank you for your comments. The unit is in the heating mode when the frosting occurs. It happened again this morning. It gets to the point that I can know it is going to happen. I can touch the freon line and it is cold (while in the heat mode). The installer is coming today.

I went with the 11 seer because I am only going to be in the house another 2 - 3 years. I could not see spending the extra money. But great warranty for the next home owner.

Post Likes
    tech replaced the defrost board, but did he replace the sensor?

Post Likes
    Before you got educated on this site.... lets examine that.... Its illegal for anyone to install something less than 10 SEER. The 2 TWR XR 11 is from 10 to 13 SEER for your information.
    Example a 2TWR1024A1 + BAYKSKT and TWE036C14 + TAYTXV-3 IS 11 SEER.

The lowest I can find on the R410 series is 11.5 SEER so what have you learned? You got screwed ? Give us the model number of ALL you components and we'll tell you how much you got screwed.
    With heat pumps you have approximately Nine wires in the outside unit not including outdoor stat. You have a furnace with a Tayplus 103 and poof you have 9 wires from heat pump 4 to 5 wires from furnace, 9 from thermostat... and thats not figuring the charge or anything is right on the unit. Possible the contractor made a mistake somewhere on the wiring. Possible its not defrosting right. But I sell Goodman and Trane and others and I will tell you right now that I spend half on Goodman for the same stuff I pay twice as much for for Trane products.... Its not apples to apples I deal with them both every day. Fix your problem with your dealer. Thats all you need to do. Less than 10 SEER? Thats Crap!!!

Post Likes
    2TWR1036A1 and TWE036C14. I don't have a TXV or Baykskt. My reading of ARI indicates 10 seer and 6.95 hspf. When I stated "or less" in my prior thread I was referring to less than ideal external factors that could lower the seer below 10. Am I wrong that different factors can increase or decrease the stated seer ?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    )If the outdoor unit is frosted,
    But it weren't

Obviously in cooling mode for some reason. I'm with swat, probably something wired wrong energizing 0 when it shouldn't be.
    Okay you win the prize

(I thought he said both coils were frosted-was waiting for an answer for that!)

Post Likes
    could the reversing valve be sticking after unit goes thru defrost cycle?

Post Likes

PS - I will never own another Trane again. I should have went with the Goodman and saved a couple of hundred bucks.
    I'd be willing to bet it was the install and not the equipment.
    Don't be so quick to bash.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Update on the frosting coils and compressor.

Ok here we go:

Yes both the outside compressor and the coils in the air handler are frosting over. I do not have the model #s at hand but I will post them tonight. When the tech replaced the defrost board he did not mention he was replacing the sensor. What does the sensor do?

The tech came out 1/7/05. He determined that the reversing valve was malfunctioning. He then said he was going to have to order the part, and the job could take up to 5 hours to replace.

To summarize, unit installed 12/22/04. I have been on emergency heat for 3 weeks. Techs have been out 4 times. Problem persists. Conclusion, either Trane is the worst product out there, or my techs are the dumbest installers on the planet.

Post Likes

Ok here we go:

Yes both the outside compressor and the coils in the air handler are frosting over.
    I misread you earlier.Sounds like it is going into defrost and not coming out.

Post Likes

Ok here we go:

Yes both the outside compressor and the coils in the air handler are frosting over. I do not have the model #s at hand but I will post them tonight. When the tech replaced the defrost board he did not mention he was replacing the sensor. What does the sensor do?

The tech came out 1/7/05. He determined that the reversing valve was malfunctioning. He then said he was going to have to order the part, and the job could take up to 5 hours to replace.

To summarize, unit installed 12/22/04. I have been on emergency heat for 3 weeks. Techs have been out 4 times. Problem persists. Conclusion, either Trane is the worst product out there, or my techs are the dumbest installers on the planet.
    Your techs should have found this earlier, so they are some at fault. But since I was not there and did not see what they saw, I can not completely blame them.

As to condeming a manufacturer because you had a problem, that is a little over kill. Any product can have a problem, that is why they have a warranty. The issue is will they stand behind it? Trane is a very good product with a very low failure rate so do not condem them for one failure. Sure we would all wish it never happened but sometimes it does. The part that failed is not made by them and it's failure may be completely out of their control. That same part could have just as easily been shipped to another manufacuter and been put in their unit.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Post Likes
    Very well put plain spoken.The reversing valve is apparently sticking. There are a few things that can cause them to stick, such as incorrect system charge, defective solenoid coil, wiring problem, etc. I'm sure all these things have been ruled out by the technician. RV replacement is a very tedious job. Hopefully the labor and miscellaneous materials will be covered under your labor warranty (which comes from the contractor, not the manufacturer) as it can be a very costly repair. Good luck!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    For the Trane XR 11, here are the model and serial #s

Air Handler model # TWE024C140BO
    Outdoor Unit model # 2TWR1024A1000AB

Air Handler Serial # 4423T7N2V
    Outdoor Unit serial # 44028104F.

Not sure if this information will benefit anyone, but here it is.

Just for a clear update, the installer does believe the reversing valve is sticking after the unit goes through the defrost cycle. He is coming out 1/17/05 to replace said reversing valve.

All of the labor, parts and anything else is all covered under the warranty. I just don't understand why the installer is unable to fix the problem. Everytime he comes out it costs him money.

One question, should it take 5 hours for one person to replace the reversing valve?

Thanks again.

[Edited by heatpumpowner on 01-11-2005 at 07:26 AM]

Post Likes

One question, should it take 5 hours for one person to replace the reversing valve?
    [/i]

Yes, it's a tedious job. Retrieving the refrigerant and then the evacuation time (to pull a proper 500 mic vaccum)when it's cold takes alot longer.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in