Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by heatpumpowner

PS - I will never own another Trane again. I should have went with the Goodman and saved a couple of hundred bucks.
    I'd be willing to bet it was the install and not the equipment.
    Don't be so quick to bash.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Update on the frosting coils and compressor.

Ok here we go:

Yes both the outside compressor and the coils in the air handler are frosting over. I do not have the model #s at hand but I will post them tonight. When the tech replaced the defrost board he did not mention he was replacing the sensor. What does the sensor do?

The tech came out 1/7/05. He determined that the reversing valve was malfunctioning. He then said he was going to have to order the part, and the job could take up to 5 hours to replace.

To summarize, unit installed 12/22/04. I have been on emergency heat for 3 weeks. Techs have been out 4 times. Problem persists. Conclusion, either Trane is the worst product out there, or my techs are the dumbest installers on the planet.

Ok here we go:

Yes both the outside compressor and the coils in the air handler are frosting over.
    I misread you earlier.Sounds like it is going into defrost and not coming out.

Ok here we go:

Yes both the outside compressor and the coils in the air handler are frosting over. I do not have the model #s at hand but I will post them tonight. When the tech replaced the defrost board he did not mention he was replacing the sensor. What does the sensor do?

The tech came out 1/7/05. He determined that the reversing valve was malfunctioning. He then said he was going to have to order the part, and the job could take up to 5 hours to replace.

To summarize, unit installed 12/22/04. I have been on emergency heat for 3 weeks. Techs have been out 4 times. Problem persists. Conclusion, either Trane is the worst product out there, or my techs are the dumbest installers on the planet.
    Your techs should have found this earlier, so they are some at fault. But since I was not there and did not see what they saw, I can not completely blame them.

As to condeming a manufacturer because you had a problem, that is a little over kill. Any product can have a problem, that is why they have a warranty. The issue is will they stand behind it? Trane is a very good product with a very low failure rate so do not condem them for one failure. Sure we would all wish it never happened but sometimes it does. The part that failed is not made by them and it's failure may be completely out of their control. That same part could have just as easily been shipped to another manufacuter and been put in their unit.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Very well put plain spoken.The reversing valve is apparently sticking. There are a few things that can cause them to stick, such as incorrect system charge, defective solenoid coil, wiring problem, etc. I'm sure all these things have been ruled out by the technician. RV replacement is a very tedious job. Hopefully the labor and miscellaneous materials will be covered under your labor warranty (which comes from the contractor, not the manufacturer) as it can be a very costly repair. Good luck!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

For the Trane XR 11, here are the model and serial #s

Air Handler model # TWE024C140BO
    Outdoor Unit model # 2TWR1024A1000AB

Air Handler Serial # 4423T7N2V
    Outdoor Unit serial # 44028104F.

Not sure if this information will benefit anyone, but here it is.

Just for a clear update, the installer does believe the reversing valve is sticking after the unit goes through the defrost cycle. He is coming out 1/17/05 to replace said reversing valve.

All of the labor, parts and anything else is all covered under the warranty. I just don't understand why the installer is unable to fix the problem. Everytime he comes out it costs him money.

One question, should it take 5 hours for one person to replace the reversing valve?

Thanks again.

[Edited by heatpumpowner on 01-11-2005 at 07:26 AM]

One question, should it take 5 hours for one person to replace the reversing valve?
    [/i]

Yes, it's a tedious job. Retrieving the refrigerant and then the evacuation time (to pull a proper 500 mic vaccum)when it's cold takes alot longer.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

He is coming out 1/17/05 to replace said reversing valve.

OUCH!

Five man-hours,maybe more.

If he does not believe it is sticking then why is he replacing it?
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Unit could be in defrost. Defrost cycle is same as cooling. The vapor line would be cold during defrost, and could even frost. My question would be how long does this last. How often does it do this. Air is going to be colder during defrost. What's back up heat? (electric, gas) is it energizing during defrost?

Originally posted by plain spoken
    If he does not believe it is sticking then why is he replacing it?
    they said he does believe it is sticking, coming out of defrost.

Well the guy came out and replaced the reversing valve. It was a 5 hour job. The worst part was how cold it was. The temperature outside was around 20.

He said he has to come out again to make sure the charge is correct. We scheduled this appointment for January 26.

I will let everyone know if this does not fix the problem.

Did he say anything about the noisy start and stop. My XR11 (less than a year old) still makes a sound when starting up like the fan is out of alignment or a bearing is going bad. Once it gets going its ok but shutdown is not quiet either. Not sure whether to call in installer or live with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast