Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

avg lifespan of a programmable thermostat

i have a honeywell thermostat ct3200 for about 5yrs,do thermostats go bad very often,or should they last 20 or 30 yrs,thanks

I don’t know about programmable first hand, but it seems like my neighbor’s issues always boil down to their programmable thermostats... Me, I have an old round Honeywell that is still clickin' right along!!! LOL.

What's the average lifespan of a toaster or a hairdryer? Who knows. Do you definitely know it's bad? Has a tech come out and told you it is? I get calls all the time from customers saying the tstat is bad, then I get there and it is something else. If it has batteries in it. Try changing them.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Nothing lasts forever. It's hard to predict what the lifespan of a thermostat is. Even the old T87F Round thermostats go bad. If you still have mercury on the wall, like the "old round" thermostat, it's costing you more money in your operating costs than a digital thermostat. There is a possiblilty that your thermostat is fine and that there is actually a problem with your furnace. What are the problems you're having which are leading you to believe you have a bad thermostat?

Depends on the use / abuse it goes through more than anything else.

the idiot returns

this DIYer is funny.....although not very intelligent.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=574722

click his name and check out his posts.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Depends, better quality stats usually longer, ones with buttons last longer than ones with slide switches, and most importantly, how much you monkey and adjust the stat matters alot. 5-15 years? Just depends.

CT3200 was a cheap Home Depot t-stat. It lasted five years; you got your money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    this DIYer is funny.....although not very intelligent.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=574722

click his name and check out his posts.
    WOW this guy is heading for disaster.......check out all his threads.......just ban !!!!

A good quality programmable stat (honeywell, white rodgers, etc) should last for 15+ years and become obsolete long before it fails.

CT3200 is a cheapy.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

ive been putting in honeywell touch screens exclusively since they came out. i have a bunch one time that didnt work out of the box. i returned them and ive never had a call back on any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by salv97 View Post
    i have a honeywell thermostat ct3200 for about 5yrs,do thermostats go bad very often,or should they last 20 or 30 yrs,thanks

depends on which stat;

a Hunter programmable stat-3 years

a Honeywell 5000 i would expect at least-10 years

Who made Sear's programmable stats when they did sell them?

I had one that had to lasted over ten years then one day the A/C cycled ON , the fan came ON, fan relay chattered and fan stopped. The fan would run in manual but it wouldn't come ON in AUTO. Used small jumper wires with clips to cycle the A/C till the new stat came in.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast