Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 175
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,868
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Originally posted by trane
    There is no way that Goodman can be at fault for this death.
    You better believe they can. If they knowingly sold equipment to someone that in turn used it on an illegal job then Goodman becomes a "party to the fact of an illegal act"
    There is nothing to stop Goodman from selling a furnace to anybody and I'm sure they don't check for a permit to install it every time they sell one..

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,214
    Lets really stretch this ....if the illegal act actually turns out to be a felony than they are actually guilty of felony murder as if they shocked the guy themselves and killed him... hope this happened in Texas or Florida... I can smell BBQ CEO's!!!
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,285

    Clear something up for me, please

    This foolishness that 120 VAC won't kill you if you take a hot wire to ground.

    When you get hit with one wire to ground on 208 or 240, what is the voltage?

    Exactly the same, my friends. Most of your electrocutions on these voltages are actually 120 VAC electrocutions.

    Carry on....

    Noel

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,879

    On the money Noel

    More people are killed by 110 than any other voltage.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,868
    I did not say that 120 volts would not kill you. When you touch a hot wire your first reaction is to get away from it. The only way you can't is if you grab the wire with your open hand. Just touching a bare wire while changing filters might shock you but I see no way you could come in contact with the wire long enough for it to kill you unless you have heart trouble.

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    OH.NO this computer is plugged into 115 vo-+-+-+----
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  7. #59
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,962
    Bob,

    I would like to see you include the city mechanical inspector that approved the installation of a gas furnace without proper disconect available.

    You like most attourneys are grasping at straws to make a case that has MANY holes in it...

    I would be asking WHAT DID THE DECESED TOUCH THAT SHOCKED HIM?
    If it was the cabnet, then the unit was not properly grounded and therefore improperly installed.
    If it was a wire or the control board, SHAME ON THE DECESED, it is PURELY A STUPID ACCIDENT...
    ALL brands of furnace manufactures use another companies door switch. If Goodman had a defective switch so do MOST OTHER BRANDS, are you going to include them in the suit???

    You are grasping at straws...


    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Yo.... Here!, I'm right here..
    Posts
    6,236
    Originally posted by bob daley
    I am an attorney located in Pittsburgh PA, representing a young man electrocuted while servicing a Goodman Furnace, Model GUN-075-3B. I need to talk to (and retain) an experienced HVAC person who can explain to me (in simple terms) the nuts and bolts of this furncace, and to help me with various other aspects of the litigation.

    In particular, my client was killed while installing a filter with the blower door open and the blower door switch bypassed, apparently because of repeated malfunctions. I have spoken to various electrical engineers and the like about the case, but no one so far has been able to tell me what went on with this furnace.

    Prior experience with expert testimony would be helpful, but certainly not necessary. Phone calls (If I'm unavailable ask to speak to Lisa Starling) or e-mails are welcome.

    Bob first let me say I only like one attorney and that's my attorney

    Dice lives in Pittsburg and he's an expert HVAC guy so he says & and a known B.S. artist. He'll fit right in

    I think he would make a perfect Professional witness and he's relativeley cheap only $175 per hour.



  9. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Florida's space coast
    Posts
    2,538
    If a safety was bypassed the product was altered and not the responsibility of the manufacturer.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    454
    Don't forget about the distributor in this.

    In Michigan it is illegal to sell HVAC equipment to a non-licensed person.

    Get the serial number, have Goodman tell you who distributed it.

    Eric K
    Air by Design

    989-596-0133

    airbydesign <@> gmail.com

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    2,216
    Not to make light of the subject but how interesting would it be if all of this was fictional and made up just to get us talking as in YHBT. Trolled.

    I doubt it is a troller but still look at the responce.

  12. #64
    Originally posted by trane
    I did not say that 120 volts would not kill you. When you touch a hot wire your first reaction is to get away from it. The only way you can't is if you grab the wire with your open hand. Just touching a bare wire while changing filters might shock you but I see no way you could come in contact with the wire long enough for it to kill you unless you have heart trouble.
    Lets get some things straight about 120v electrocutions...

    1.) They are known for more deaths due to the fact that higher voltages will blow you away from the wires/contacts.
    (you can loss parts of you limbs touching the wrong high voltage wires/contacts...literally blow holes threw parts of your body)

    2.) 'First reaction'...your first movement is caused by the electrical voltage, not your brain. Your muscles contract when you get 120 volts. The deceased may have simply reached into the blower compartment grabbed for the filter, brushed against a bare hot wire and that was all it took! As he had ahold of a path to ground and touched the hot side, he grabbed the unit tight and there he was...getting electrocuted!

    It happens quickly, and you don't have a chance to do ANYTHING as you have NO idea of what is happening to you!

    Yes, I know from personal experiance, it's not fun. Do the research and you will find that 120v is nothing to play with. And you will likely find out things about your heart you never knew anything about either!

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,868
    Jultzya, I doubt that you can teach me anything on this subject, but let me see if I understand what you are saying. You think he could be killed just brushing against a hot wire as long as he was grounded. You can't touch a hot wire long enough to kill you unless you touch it with an open hand. Current is what kills you not voltage.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event