Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    What is the serial number?

Where was the furnace purchased from?

Was the installing person a qualified contractor?

Was the technician who recommended bypassing the switch an employee of a qualified contractor?

This is something I have often thought about in that if you help some one trouble shoot their system over the phone then how liable are you? If you tell some HO how to light their pilot and they end up blowing themselves and their house up are you not in the biggest trouble there has ever been? I can tell if it is intentional and you are trying to hurt some one but if you are honestly trying to be a good guy and help them over the phone then they get hurt how bad do you feel for helping and how much are you responsible.

IMO a tech or manager should know better and it should be every companies policy to not allow employees to help trouble shoot equipment or anything over the phone. You never really know what the home owner is capable of or how safe they are going to be doing it.

I'm not interested in helping you

raise prices to all of us in the industry.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

We must also determine if you are qualified to represent these unfortunate victims in this case by answering the following question.

Have you touched or felt a GOAT lately?

Secondly, out of curiosity, what is the going rate for EXPERT testimony these days, I want to be sure our services are rewarded equally as yours are?

The only way I see that this guy got electricuted changing a filter is if there was an uninsulated lead exposed and he was gripping a metal 'permanent' filter.

One more good reason not use the *&#$% things...
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

if the sad, sad story isn't the best reason NOT to give out info to DIY's....i don't know what is. what about the DIY'S sites? who is liable there for bad advise? live and learn here.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Swat:

As long as there are ambulance chasers and a liability policy in place, there will be over paid paper pushers looking for a quick buck who want to make the big bucks on a percentage basis only. Sure is strange how NONE of these guys are willing to work by the hour. They simply refuse to because they would not make near the amount they do, and it is the “true” victims who are short changed who probably need it the most.

Frank, you are quite correct. I should not have called the deceased stupid. His action, however, was.

We ALL do stupid things everyday. All the more reason for the courts to stay the hell out. There's simply not enough time in all eternity to address all the stupid action sof people and there sure isn't enough money to cover it all.

Lawyers should stick to issues of criminality. Civil issues should be handled with each person representing him/herself. More truth tends to come out that way. This crap about suing for millions of dollars on "hot coffee" should have been laughed out of court. (That was truly a case of a simple stupid mistake. The woman was herself stupid for suing.) Common sense should prevail...not whoever can afford the hottest lawyer.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

OK guys. We need to calm down about the lawyer, this is not the place for putting down someones business. He came to our site to get help with a case and not to be put down. I know you would not like it if you went to him for help and all he could do is belittle your profession. I hope you would give him the respect as a professional and help him the best you can. Lets not make the kids death an issue of how everyone feels about lawyers. If you can help him with his questions please do so but keep all the side stuff to yourself and the bar.

Thanks,

BC-1

[Edited by spotts on 01-05-2005 at 03:18 PM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Sorry, BC-1. You are right.

Apologies around.

No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I'm am going to sound like some kind of a odd-ball here but I believe there needs to be "PRODUCT LIABILITY".

Should one of your kids (lord forbid) choked on piece of a toy, I'm sure someone would be going after Hasboro. Cigarette companies knew that their product caused cancer and they covered it up. Early steam boilers had no relief valves. If the firetender fell asleep with the damper open the boiler would explode and wipe out a whole apartment building. Without liability Weil-McLain would still be pushing out boilers with no relief valves or safety devices.

Frivilous law suits on the other hand are another thing. Judges should be able to fine a lawyer for wasteing his and the publics time with nonsense. "I ate a hamburger and now I'm fat." And of course we still have the "who's fault was 9-11" To me it seems that the terrorist who flew the planes into the buildings was at fault. But maybe I am wrong and millions will be spent to find out.

As far as the case at hand, I would professionally say that Goodman is off the hook on this one. It seems to me that there had been a long time short circuit in this unit. It was not properly grounded therefore it didn't trip the overcurrent protection. Low voltage acrossed the door switch caused high amperage and the repeated failure. Legally, I would be looking at the installation/service company and the homeowners liability insurance.

Can you Goodman guys tell from the model if it is a 80% furnace.

I wonder if it was one of the beat to get back on blower door covers. One that just didn't quite make it closed and the switch was doing it's job by cutting off. It isn't a service disconnect by any means. What if they reached over a blower and hit a limit, or capcitor? Would that be Goodman's fault too?
    I thought that the door switches were also to keep the air return from the duct and not other areas, like the garages.
    Maybe pictures of the actual jobsite can be posted.

[Edited by Stamas on 01-05-2005 at 04:06 PM]

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast