Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast
    I am an attorney located in Pittsburgh PA, representing a young man electrocuted while servicing a Goodman Furnace, Model GUN-075-3B. I need to talk to (and retain) an experienced HVAC person who can explain to me (in simple terms) the nuts and bolts of this furncace, and to help me with various other aspects of the litigation.

In particular, my client was killed while installing a filter with the blower door open and the blower door switch bypassed, apparently because of repeated malfunctions. I have spoken to various electrical engineers and the like about the case, but no one so far has been able to tell me what went on with this furnace.

Prior experience with expert testimony would be helpful, but certainly not necessary. Phone calls (If I'm unavailable ask to speak to Lisa Starling) or e-mails are welcome.

Thank you.

Bob Daley
    Peirce Raimond & Coulter
    2500 Gulf Tower
    Pittsburgh PA 15219
    1-800-543-9859

Originally posted by bob daley

In particular, my client was killed while installing a filter..................
    In particular if he was killed he is not your client someone else is.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Well, that's true. Since he is dead I am the estate's attorney.

Bob Daley
    site rules: no email addresses

[Edited by BC1 on 01-05-2005 at 12:03 PM]

maybe the switch should not have been bypassed aand the blower door closed as per warnings.
    did he put his hand somewhere it didnt belong?
    Did he wire it himself?
    Is his family going after everbody possible as is the american way.

I find it hard to believe you can't find a Goodman tech in Pittsburgh.

I usually turn off the power to a furnace at the switch, trusting a door switch can be risky as they can stick closed. Something else was obviously very wrong here.It never hurts to be careful though.Accidents happen, let's sue!!!!

The unit was not properly grounded or this couldn't have happened.

You need to find out if the ground was disconnected by someone, never installed, or possibly just corroded or vibrated loose.

Good luck, it sucks that someone lost their life over this.

PS......an electrical engineer would probably be more appropriate than an HVAC tech.

I find it hard to believe that this man was killed changing the filter. As most people on here, I have been shocked several times but to be killed changing a filter I don't think so. The only way he could have been killed is to grab hold of a wire or the furnace itself was hot which is not likely.

This reminds me of the movie philadelphia before denzel gets to Tom hanks and denzel says to the guy so yea it was clearly marked construction area and you walked under the caution tape and fell in a hole is that right? The guy says yes and Denzel says good we got a case....
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Death is a sad thing. With that said let's get to the real manner.
    I believe Goodman will laugh you out of court faster than you will be laughed off this site. I would be the last to stand behind Goodman, but they do sell replacement door switches. Not disconnecting the power by another means after it was known that the door switch was bypassed was just plain stupid.

I hope you and the family get enough money to make it alright. Afterwards I would be interested in retaining your service. Yesterday I stuck a paperclip in an outlet to test if there was power to it. I didn't die, but because of the shock, pain and suffering I went through I am afraid to make to toast or watch TV. The outlet was made by GE. Will you help me go after them?

"your Honor the filter was obviously not grounded properly"......where's Ozone when you need him?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Yeah, Bob, Looks like you're outa luck here.

It's sad a young man lost his life. I feel sorry for his family. But you, my friend, should be ashamed for telling the family they have a case, whether they do or not.

The thing is, the young man did not die because of a mfg. problem. He died because he was stupid. Stupidity is the greatest cause of untimely death in the world.

Please don't celebrate stupidity in the courts. It costs everybody money (except you) and you end up with a bad rep.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bootlen
    Please don't celebrate stupidity in the courts. It costs everybody money (except you) and you end up with a bad rep.
    You mean like getting burned by hot coffee

Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast