Thread: BROILER SYSTEMS

Question

I AM PUTTING A BROLIER SYSTEM IN AN OLD HOUSE AND THE MAN WANTS ALL APEX FLEXIBLE PVC RAN AND I HAVE NEVER RAN APEX, ONLY COPPER.... AND AM HAVING TROUBLE WHEN I AM PUTTING IN THE AIR TEST ON, IT IS NOT HOLDING PRESSURE...I PUT 100 PSI ON IT AND CANNOT FIND A LEAK NO WHERE EVEN USING SOAP AND WATER. ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE MOST GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Cule me in please..I never herd of apex plastic pvc pipe.But
    then I dont get out much.

I would call the people that make the pipe and see what temp
    /pressure its rated for.

I sure hope you not using this stuff on a steel boiler,with
    out him signing off on it first.

I'm also wondering why is the customer being the one to
    choose what material you should be using.

I never use plastic in my broiler only metal. If you're making garlic bread watch it close cause it burns fast under the broiler.

Wildcat, first thing is to turn off your caps. People find it offensive around here. It is harder to read with the caps on.

The problem. Pex tubing is becoming more and more popular in the hydronic heating industry. So get used to seeing it and an learn how to use it.

When testing a "wet" system it is not a good idea to use air. You will drive yourself crazy. I have found that the packing around valves will leak air but when they are wet they won't leak. Fill the system with water. You may get a drip here and there but so what. Drain the system fix the leaks then you are ready for the glycol. If you aren't using glycol what is the big yank about being so intense about leak checking?

Hey Benny, I believe the system has to hold pressure for 24 hours for inspection however I do not think its 100 psi but more like 25 psi...around here in mich. anyway.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

coolwhip I believe the code here states 100psi for 30 minutes on hydronic testing. From memory, my book is in the office.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help this system is confusing me....I am doing this on a side job and told the homeowner i wasnt comforatble doing a broiler system and he still insisted now that things arent going right he is being a jerk..Anyway thanks for your help . Have a good one.

Originally posted by wildcatduncan
    ...I am doing this on a side job

Gosh, now who'da guessed that? I figgered it was your first Broiler right off.........
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau