Which handheld device is better?

Originally posted by aserv
    Which handheld device is better?

Thats some nasty sounding stuff bud! A "handheld device" called a Pocket P-C? HaHa! I'd say the 'Palm" one is the more stripped down version. Leaves a little more up to your imagination. If I was needing such a thing, I think I'd go for the "Pocket P-C" with all the......... Oh nevermind.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I haven't a clue what your getting at Spotts. Anyone else have any (serious) recommendations based on what they've used or currently use?

I have both, but to be fair the palm is older. Of the two I would have to say Pocket PC due to being able to use my excel and word files. Also, you are able to view jpeg's(picture) files without converting to something else. I also have Micrs. streets and trips on my pocket pc. My brother who is a Carrier tech is big into Pocket pc. I think some of the manufacturers are beginning to make some software for the handhelds to set up some of their equipment. If this is what you're thinking of doing, find out what their software is compatable with first before purchasing. Just remember, small screen, batteries dont seem to last long, and the novelty of it wears off quick. Maybe you should save your pennies and go for a lap top later. Just a thought.

If you want to be able to physically connect to control systems such as Johnson UNTs or York Synthesys controllers you will need an older Palm that has the physical connections at the bottom so you can plug in a cable such as Cable Pro. The new infrared units will not interface with control systems.

You can get the older palms on the internet for a song. Just what you may need to interface with controls.

I am a Palm person. I have a Sony Clie and it will show photos (jpeg, and others), movies, PDF files. MP-3 music. It have a great date book and the search feature is outstanding. It hold thousands of addresses. I have a 50k word dictionary on it and have a good map program. AND I have only used half of the memory and half of a 512mb add on card.
    I also have it set up for Wi-Fi at my home when I want to go on-line and my kids are on the computer.

BUT, Sony and a few others are not importing their wares and I think Palm my not survive on it's own.(They are going to the cell phone market).
    I would have to say the Pocket PC (The Dark Side)will be the only game in town in a couple of years.

But I vote for the Palm still.

Good Luck,
    Yuma
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Blackberry final answer.

Originally posted by mattm
    Blackberry final answer.
    yeah, if you can ever get a signal...
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

Here in Cincy the only place I don't get a signal is in the basement of our building. I have our BAS connected to it, work orders, pm, e-mail and the web. It all depends on the carrier, we use Cingular for the signal.

What sucks that I just discovered is,. I just bought all of us the new GSM phones. Being used to the old setup that would switch from digital to analog and the signal would get a little fuzzy, I'll have to get used to either you have a signal or you don't. These GSM phones are nice that the signal is spread out better but when it is weak the call just drops.

The HP6315 with Tmobile is great but they block all ports from broadband use except port80.

Just purchased 3 HP5550 Pocket PC’s and added the expansion pack with the extra battery for the air card. Did all of this to set up paperless field invoice. They work great but be careful if you use them for the Mobile ESC software. Check with your aircard provider to see if they block certain ports, if so you will have to change providers. ESC mobile capabilities are new to us but are working out great.

Although I am very impressed with the HP5550 and they blow my Palm away I do have one problem with them. You can not print PDF files. If my techs need a wiring diagram it can be emailed to their PocketPC but it will not print. You can enlarge the view screen but with a complicated diagram it is impossible to view with any accuracy.

Does anyone know where the print software can be found to print PDF files?