I was just curious how much power you have to make changes from what the salesman planed once your on a job? There's always going to be some changes, typically they are small, but how about the big ones?

After this last job, I'm kind of at my wits end with some of these situations.

I've ran into a few problems where it became aparent once the job was started that what was planned was a very bad idea. So when I proposed to change things to things would work better and make life easier (for everyone not just me), I was shot down because "this is how it was planned". I pleaded my case, but no one wanted to listen, so I bit my lip and just did it the planned way.

I was just curious how you guys go about making these changes and getting them to be acted on, not just ignored.

Incase you are curious, here's the situation. Putting a heat pump in the upper floor of a decent sized house with the air handler in the attic, supply and returns in every room (3 bedrooms and 2 bath's, no returns in baths). Where it was planned, to access the AH you have to take the shelves down in the closet, climb through the access hole, walk around 7' until you are by the air handler. There's no "walkway" just room enough to step in the "V's" of the truss's. Now this was a PITA to install, it'll be even worse once you have to actually service the unit (not impossible, just a PITA) and to change the filer, you have to do this. I proposed to move it above the bathroom (other side of the house), right next to thier access hole with much more room due to truss layout. Sparky's didn't want to pull and exta 20-30' of wire, general wasn't dazzled by the idea of change and neither were the home owners even after I described the problems. I called the supervisor, explained things to him and was told to just go by the plan.

I was also told they wanted a 13 seer unit. I was told to use a 12 seer 2 ton heat pump with a 3 ton air handler (not variable speed). I'm new, but some how I don't see doing that raising the seer one point. Personally I think we should have put a 5 ton ahu in, could have bumped it up to a 15 seer lol.

Arg, such is life I guess, thanks for lettin me vent, and I'm anxious to see how to do some manipulating.

[Edited by amickracing on 01-02-2005 at 12:17 AM]

No walkway? Don't you have a building code or inspector? Sheesh. I know inspectors can be a PITA, but here's a time you'd want one. H/O will be griping come next winter when the filter is plugged.

Yeah, we do have building code's and inspectors. Problem is, I think this is far enough out of the city that it doesn't get inspected. And I hate to stereo type, but he's a brain surgen (really, he is), and she's an attorney... I just don't see them climbing up there to change filters either, I was told to worry about that when the time comes.

We were bullied around on another job too. The mechanical room kept getting smaller and smaller (ho wanted more space in thier 4000 sq foot house). Now there's roughly 20" infront of the furnace, not near enough IMHO. Inspector let it fly, said there wasn't anything to do to fix it other than move the wall, and he didn't want to make them do that. Sheesh!

I understand why you want to do it right but changing from wht was bid is a bad idea. If who ever is estimating it does not alow for doing it differant .....are you going to pay the differance? If the person estimating it is someone that you can talk to with out ofending and getting them more informed on better ways to do installs that may even make it a better selling point, then try that . I know sometimes it may be hard getting someone to change their way of bidding jobs being they may feel they know better but it really supprises me how many people are bidding jobs that really dont have to deal with the problems of a bad install being their not the one coming back to work on it. whatever you do ,dont change it from the way it was bid without getting aproval first from whoever is your boss, If you do Im sure you will be in trouble. You would be with me.

Hypothetically speaking, say it wouldn't change the bid price? In this case it would have most likely made it cheaper. And the electricians are coming up from the middle, so it would have been a moot point either way.

I still agree with getting approval 1st though. The more I do this kind of business the more I find out the skills I'm really lacking are the communication skills, or it's a lacking on both parties.

If the person estimating it is someone that you can talk to with out ofending and getting them more informed on better ways to do installs that may even make it a better selling point, then try that
    How can you change the "masters" ideas... he's been there and done it all.. hehe

don't know your trade, but you sure do

It's obvious you think out of the box and are motavated !

the outfit is lucky to have you and your attitude !!

it's hard for people to change. why not sit down and talk with the brass and see if they ther's a better way to deal with this situation in the future. of cource you could always take the estimator out back and wail the crap out of him !!!

>>and to change the filer, you have to do this. I proposed to move it above the bathroom (other side of the house), right next to thier access hole with much more room due to truss layout. Sparky's didn't want to pull and exta 20-30' of wire, general wasn't dazzled by the idea of change and neither were the home owners>>

Sounds like the ho's might have some motivation to provide *themselves* with improved access to the unit to change the filter. If they don't change it, they could get jacked up when a warranty situation comes up.