+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Lucas (MGB) really make Scotsman ice machines?

Post Likes

Question

Long years ago as a young, skinny girl, I owned a 1965 MGB. Lucas LTD. made the electrics for them. If you ever had one you will appreciate the old joke, "Why do Brits have no ice in their drinks? Because Lucas makes their ice machines." Well, now as a skinny OLD woman, I have inherited a Scotsman DCE33 that I would SWEAR Lucas made the electrics for cause it don't make no ice!!! Help me out here as I am a novice in this field but I have potential as I used to work on the MGB rebuilding its carbs and then on Beetles and Chevys later. I can be taught. The problem as I can describe it is...turn it on and set the cycle for "harvest". Water sprays and drains, fan whirs, other and sundry sounds happen BUT, it doesn't get cold and no ice cubes form. There is rust around the condenser where the copper pipe goes up to the top of the back of the machine. After reading all of the Scotsman literature I can get, I'm guessing that the condenser is malfunctioning. Can someone who doesn't mind talking to an idiot savant please try to help me. It is now a matter of personal pride to fix this demon so that I can impress my Princeton educated hubby that I am good for something other than birthin' and saving him money because I don't wear any shoes. Thanks awfully!!!!!

Post Likes
    ...turn it on and set the cycle for "harvest
    BUT, it doesn't get cold and no ice cubes form.

back when i was a young lad I had an MG midget. And EVERYTIME and i mean EVERYTIME that car broke down I would have it towed to the MG dealer so they could tell me what was wrong with it--------then i would have it towed back home and fix it myself-----my dad used to tell me if I had a professional fix the car it wouldnt break down so much

but he didnt realise how much money i saved. Whenever I started that car and put it in the harvest cycle the damn heater would come on and it wo9uld drop a chunk of ice from underneath it and it wouldnt get cold untill after that chunk of ice fell

Just like my dad tried to tell me: if you took it to a professional they could probably fix that for you but now that i make my living repairing ice machines , I would starve if I told everyone how to fix it themselves

How did I do guys???/

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dumbblonde
    a Scotsman DCE33 Help me out here The problem as I can describe it is...turn it on and it doesn't get cold After reading all of the Scotsman literature I can get, I'm guessing that the condenser is malfunctioning because I don't wear any shoes. Thanks awfully!!!!!
    Okay.First,put some shoes on! Next,find out if you are getting power to your compressor,or not.Maybe a bad current relay/overload,contactor,transformer,ect...
    Also,if that is the model number,then someone might be able to help.Make sure it is correct.
    I dont do ice machines,really.But I can tell you that if it is a burned out compressor ,or you have lost your refrigerant charge,then it is best to have that handled by a licensed technician.He will have the tools for it.
    If it is an electrical(or electronical)problem,then it should be easy to diagnose and cheap to fix.

The site rules say "this isnt a do it yourself site",so we will be walking a fine line here...
    For your own well being they made the rules that way.

What meter will you use to determine if you are getting power to the compressor?What books on do you have handy to refer to,ect..? I ask that to help you prove that your not apt to hurt yourself on this project.

Welcome to hvac-talk,I'm sure you will have fun here!

Post Likes
    Thanks Jacob, after reading some of the postings it seemed obvious to me that the "members" were just regular old Joe's (or Joanne's) like me, not professionals. (Midget owner deserved that and might I add that the MG Midget was a POS that no mechanic that I know of would work on anyway so it was a good thing that he "did it himself".) Anyway, my apologies for the oversight as I didn't see the "do-it-yourselfer" clause in the TOA. Sorry. Now, if we can get back to my query, yeah... I will call Phil, my appliance repair guy Monday and have him come out as it does seem to be more than I want to chip the pink polish on my nails over. The main problem that I have is that my "Mr. Mac", who was my serviceman for years and honest as the day is long, had a horrible tractor accident and no longer works. I am now dealing with a franchise that sends out whoever and is giving all servicemen a bad name. Waiting for Doctors ain't nuthin' compared to waiting for the sevice guy. That and the fact that I am pretty smart and repair just about every thing that breaks in my house, well... I thought I'd give it a shot. One other option is for me to call an old boyfiend in the heating and cooling business and see if he will come take a look. What can I say? I'm curious about how the Scotsman works. Both of my older children go to school in Scotland and I figure to make a million bucks if I can explain to the Brits how to make a decent ice cube. Anyway, the model number of the ice maker is DCE33A-1WB. Thanks again Jacob. Terry

Post Likes

Scotsman DCE33.........

If you don't have this, you should, even if you are a DIYer. :
    http://www.scotsman-ice.com/support/...D-F/DCE33M.PDF

When the timer is rotated clockwise to the "harvest" position (open microswitch), the system is filling the water sump and bypassing hot gas to the evaporator so nothing is cooling at that point. After about two minutes in harvest, the timer microswitch will close and the system will switch to the "freeze" cycle. The timer will stop and things should start to chill.

As ice starts to form on the evaporator surface, the suction line temperature will start to fall. There's an adjustable harvest initiation thermostat watching that temperature, and when it closes the timer will start to turn. This is called the finish time delay. When that times out after 7-8 minutes, you'll be back to the harvest cycle......hopefully with some ice in the bin.

If not, hand the manual to Phil when he comes to the door.

Post Likes
    Iceman, Thanks, I have the manual and have done as you said. No cooling. The reason I'm thinking that it is the compressor is that the rust indicated that something was leaking from the line running from the top of the condenser(wrapped) to the top of the unit. Probably refrigerant. Signed, Grasshopper.

Post Likes
    jake : the whole point of my story was what she said about the harvest cycle. The machine is not going to produce ice as long as it is in the harvest cycle, and thats the first thing she did when she started it - put it in the harvest cycle - for whatever reason

I just made up the story about the car .everybody knows that mg's dont have ice machine fetures

they only used those fetures on FIAT's

if that machine would be allowed to start properly and a good cleaner used on the tray it would probably work

now try to explain why you have to use the proper cleaner on the tray and get the DIY er to believe you
    Ill bet it gets scrubbed with comet clenser

Post Likes
    Refrigeration what a paradox. You spend half your time trying to make ice, and the other half trying to get rid of, or trying to prevent it.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    BB: I really did not intend to offend you , I made up the MG story to sort of try to get a point across yet try to at least get you to start it when it isnt in the harvest mode. By starting it in the harvest mode all you are doing is sending hot gas vapor to the very tray that you are expecting to cool. That is the normal operation of the harvest cycle . If you dont see any signs of oil on any of the components , the charge probably is ok, so clean it with the proper cleaner , attach awater line to it, dont start it in the harvest mode and see what happenes

BTW : you are correct about the MG's but Fiat (fix it again tony) was never any better and you should have seen what it was like getting parts over here from the queen

Post Likes
    Anyway, my apologies for the oversight as I didn't see the "do-it-yourselfer" clause in the TOA. Sorry. Now, if we can get back to my query,

ya see , and i was feeling guilty for not helping the bird

untill I downloaded the PDF that Ice posted the link to .

I actually read the manual, and that thing has a better troubleshooting guide in it than ANY textbook I have seen.
    For those of us that really are here to learn this busniess , it is great having people we can talk to and learn from . When someone here goes through the trouble of finding a link to answer any question you could possibly have about that machine and ya dont even read it -

Anyway, my apologies for the oversight as I didn't see the "do-it-yourselfer" clause in the TOA. Sorry. Now, if we can get back to my query, ---the rules of this site dont matter---Now, if we can get back to my query, ----how much easier could Ice have made it for you .

I know I dont have the right to be angry at this, but the time may come that I am working on a machine and could use the opinions of these people and the info they provide

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dumbblonde
    . I am pretty smart and repair just about every thing that breaks in my house, well... I thought I'd give it a shot. One other option is for me to call an old boyfiend in the heating and cooling business and see if he will come take a look. What can I say? I'm curious about how the Scotsman works.. Terry
    I think you can too! It's a good time to learn. Something in the sequence of operation is off.I'm sure the hvac guy can spot it.

Ask any questions you might have,and let us know how it turns out.
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Post Likes
    OK, ct2. About the "Harvest" thingie. On page 12 of Scotsman's DCE33 manual, downloaded from Scotsman's site; it says "Initial Start-up-
    1. Remove control box cover.
    2. Rotate timer shaft clockwise until the cam is in the HARVEST position. (switch button out).
    3. Turn on water supply.
    4. With unit plugged in, rotate ice machine control knob to the ON position.
    5. and so on....."
    So, that is why I put it in harvest. I will try it your way and let you know only if you refrain from calling me a "bird". "Crow" would fit me better, or even "Old Woman", as my husband affectionately calls me. Now, could we please have a truce on the attitudes? I must be easily amused but I really am interested in the art of making ice. Just imagine the next cocktail party with my new found info and experience. How mysterious and enigmatic they will think me...Sorry, just couldn't help myself. I'll change positions and see if we have ice! (Boy, I'm setting myself up for this one!) Thanks for the humour and patience. Terry

Post Likes
    Terry-----truce----i know its no excuse but i suppose because I am ill - its rainy--- im being way to grouchy---

Post Likes
    Jacob, I do have another question about my Jenn-Air fridge. It's about 20 years old and came with a "party" ice-maker. Around about 10 years old, the ice-maker started not releasing the cubes and I would have ice stalagtites and 'mites overnight. I called Jenn air and they sent me a new ice tray which I installed and the problem went away for a couple of months. They said it was deposits from our water supply that was building up on the trays. I called in Mr. Mac and he said that it was a problem with the "party" ice maker and put in a standard Jenn Air model. Problem fixed. Another couple of years went by and THIS icemaker went on the fritz; not for the non-release problem but something else that I can't remember. In any event, Mr. Mac couldn't get the Jenn-Air model anymore and installed another brand that fit the space? Only problem, the cubes are bigger and half-moon shaped and won't come out of the door slot consistently. We have to open the door and scoop it out with our hands. Not horrible but my husband and my 10 year old son are not the best about washing their hands so I'm kind of grossed out with the thought! Ever had this problem before? I'm sure I sound like I'm obsessed with ice but my husband hunts and when he leaves for camp he empties the Jenn-Air but doesn't put the bar back down. Of course, when I discover that it has been off and there is no ice, I'm wilting from yardwork and really looking forward to a nice tall glass of iced tea. "Iced" being the operative word. This is where the Scotsman comes in. I was dreaming of having enough ice that we could both have the best of both worlds. I checked on a new Scotsman like the one I was given and they run over a thousand dollars so I figured that fixing it would still be cheaper. Anyway, I really appreciate your time and kindness. Terry

Post Likes
    ct2, no problem. I understand. We are having incredible 73 degree weather here in Alabama; blue bird skies and nice lazy winds. Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I know about cleaning the trays since I had the problem with the Jenn-Air. What do you suggest cleaning it with? Also, I checked and I don't see any oil anywhere so maybe the rusty area is just from condensation from the refrigerant. Should the copper lines be cold to the touch anytime? Terry

Post Likes

Re: Scotsman DCE33.........

Originally posted by icemeister
    If you don't have this, you should, even if you are a DIYer. :
    http://www.scotsman-ice.com/support/...D-F/DCE33M.PDF

When the timer is rotated clockwise to the "harvest" position (open microswitch), the system is filling the water sump and bypassing hot gas to the evaporator so nothing is cooling at that point. After about two minutes in harvest, the timer microswitch will close and the system will switch to the "freeze" cycle. The timer will stop and things should start to chill.

Well,it sounds like "timer contacts open" as it states in the manual P.19.If you are hearing other noises,then that maybe the compressor.(That's good,but make sure to turn it off though, until the repairs are made.)
    I couldnt find any wiring diagrams,nor locate the components,nor a parts list.The website may be your best friend with that.Might want to be checking on where to find parts.

Yes,your refrigerant lines should be hot (or cool), I dont know what your seeing there,though.I am guessing it is stuck in harvest cycle so the inside(evap)would get hot.
    The outside(condenser) would be warm,I guess.

Do you have hard water there in sweet home alabama? That might be the cause of the problem with deposits.Ask local hardware store what works best.It could be a "local thang."

I'll check back to see what "icemeister" says.

Good luck!

Post Likes
    They make a cleaning solution for cleaning the plates on an icemaker and somewhere I read about a solution on vinegar and water but never anything abrasive and the plates are nickel plated . if that plating has been worn through the ice will stick and not release during the harvest cycle

No signes of oil is a good thing . that unit is small enough that connecting a set of gauges will effect the charge so fornow , I would try to start it . yes the lines will be hot or cold during its operation and depending on where you touch them.

If I started it I would do so either in the harvest cycle and wait two minutes to see if cycles or start it as I said before ,
    I would find the drier and feel the line or if you have an accurate thermometer take the temps on both sides of the drier and look for a temp drop across the drier.

I would also look at the TXV valve amd make sure that the copper tubing attached to it is not kinked and that the bulb on the end is insulated and attached to the line

Iwould take the temps on the lines going to and comming out of the evap . If the evap doesnt get cold and it is not in the harvest cycle you will have either a restricted drier or a bad txv

ok since i may have made that sound confusing ...go into the troubleshooting section of the manual and make sure I have not given you incorrect info . OK?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in