Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jacob, I do have another question about my Jenn-Air fridge. It's about 20 years old and came with a "party" ice-maker. Around about 10 years old, the ice-maker started not releasing the cubes and I would have ice stalagtites and 'mites overnight. I called Jenn air and they sent me a new ice tray which I installed and the problem went away for a couple of months. They said it was deposits from our water supply that was building up on the trays. I called in Mr. Mac and he said that it was a problem with the "party" ice maker and put in a standard Jenn Air model. Problem fixed. Another couple of years went by and THIS icemaker went on the fritz; not for the non-release problem but something else that I can't remember. In any event, Mr. Mac couldn't get the Jenn-Air model anymore and installed another brand that fit the space? Only problem, the cubes are bigger and half-moon shaped and won't come out of the door slot consistently. We have to open the door and scoop it out with our hands. Not horrible but my husband and my 10 year old son are not the best about washing their hands so I'm kind of grossed out with the thought! Ever had this problem before? I'm sure I sound like I'm obsessed with ice but my husband hunts and when he leaves for camp he empties the Jenn-Air but doesn't put the bar back down. Of course, when I discover that it has been off and there is no ice, I'm wilting from yardwork and really looking forward to a nice tall glass of iced tea. "Iced" being the operative word. This is where the Scotsman comes in. I was dreaming of having enough ice that we could both have the best of both worlds. I checked on a new Scotsman like the one I was given and they run over a thousand dollars so I figured that fixing it would still be cheaper. Anyway, I really appreciate your time and kindness. Terry

ct2, no problem. I understand. We are having incredible 73 degree weather here in Alabama; blue bird skies and nice lazy winds. Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I know about cleaning the trays since I had the problem with the Jenn-Air. What do you suggest cleaning it with? Also, I checked and I don't see any oil anywhere so maybe the rusty area is just from condensation from the refrigerant. Should the copper lines be cold to the touch anytime? Terry

Re: Scotsman DCE33.........

Originally posted by icemeister
    If you don't have this, you should, even if you are a DIYer. :
    http://www.scotsman-ice.com/support/...D-F/DCE33M.PDF

When the timer is rotated clockwise to the "harvest" position (open microswitch), the system is filling the water sump and bypassing hot gas to the evaporator so nothing is cooling at that point. After about two minutes in harvest, the timer microswitch will close and the system will switch to the "freeze" cycle. The timer will stop and things should start to chill.

Well,it sounds like "timer contacts open" as it states in the manual P.19.If you are hearing other noises,then that maybe the compressor.(That's good,but make sure to turn it off though, until the repairs are made.)
    I couldnt find any wiring diagrams,nor locate the components,nor a parts list.The website may be your best friend with that.Might want to be checking on where to find parts.

Yes,your refrigerant lines should be hot (or cool), I dont know what your seeing there,though.I am guessing it is stuck in harvest cycle so the inside(evap)would get hot.
    The outside(condenser) would be warm,I guess.

Do you have hard water there in sweet home alabama? That might be the cause of the problem with deposits.Ask local hardware store what works best.It could be a "local thang."

I'll check back to see what "icemeister" says.

Good luck!

They make a cleaning solution for cleaning the plates on an icemaker and somewhere I read about a solution on vinegar and water but never anything abrasive and the plates are nickel plated . if that plating has been worn through the ice will stick and not release during the harvest cycle

No signes of oil is a good thing . that unit is small enough that connecting a set of gauges will effect the charge so fornow , I would try to start it . yes the lines will be hot or cold during its operation and depending on where you touch them.

If I started it I would do so either in the harvest cycle and wait two minutes to see if cycles or start it as I said before ,
    I would find the drier and feel the line or if you have an accurate thermometer take the temps on both sides of the drier and look for a temp drop across the drier.

I would also look at the TXV valve amd make sure that the copper tubing attached to it is not kinked and that the bulb on the end is insulated and attached to the line

Iwould take the temps on the lines going to and comming out of the evap . If the evap doesnt get cold and it is not in the harvest cycle you will have either a restricted drier or a bad txv

ok since i may have made that sound confusing ...go into the troubleshooting section of the manual and make sure I have not given you incorrect info . OK?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12