charged with the required 25 lbs inside unit and 26lbs on
    the outside unit. When the unit starts up it kicks out on
    low head pressure, the gauges show a minus 20 on low side
    and 175 on high side. Normal range should be 65 low and
    200-225 high. Any ideas?

You cannot be serious, or are you?

Yes, don't do a lot of this stuff, may be a simple problem
    but don't get a lot of exposure to it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but did you put in 51 pounds of refrigerant?

yes we put 25lb. in the main unit, 26lb in remote unit,which is what desertaire tec.told us to put in it,we installed th unit 8 years ago,first of dec. they called, with problems, first the aux. duct heater was all rusted up,stat shot and humidstat all rusted up,comp. wasn't pulling but15a instead of 60a 3 phase.they said change compressor,now what's wrong,please help thanks bob

Do yourself a favor and contact Desert Aire and get the names of some contractors who work on these systems on a regular basis.

you meant ounces, not pounds, right?

sparkie 43050
    You're in way over your head. Please back out now and get someone who understands these kinds of systems.

The entire system must work and work in a certain sequence in order to control humidity/temperatures correctly. And from what you posted so far you seem not to even be familiar with the refrigeration cycle or proper system repair.

These things are expensive to repair by someone with lots of experience. You can end up doing more damage and the customer can end up looking your way for resolve.

Get someone trained in these systems. Good luck.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

you must not be familiar with desertaire, this is a 5 ton a/c and dehumidifier with a remote condensor coil and weighs
    600lbs and takes 51lbs of r-22.

Originally posted by sparkie 43050
    you must not be familiar with desertaire, this is a 5 ton a/c and dehumidifier with a remote condensor coil and weighs
    600lbs and takes 51lbs of r-22.
    Sorry, I thought you asked for help from experienced people. I'll back out now seeing as you know more than me.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

How much r-22 did you recover from this unit when you replaced the compressor? 51lbs does seem a bit excessive. Does this unit have more than one compressor? There is an obstruction somewhere,check for closed isolation valve,clogged filter-dryer,bad metering device. The new compressor will not last very long running in 20" of vacuum.

I guess I spoke too soon. Desert Aire does require an additional 26 lbs of 22 on top of the charge in the system according to there Install Man. But with that aside please consider finding someone with more knowledge on this system. They are not your basic A/C systems.
    I don't believe anyone here will be able to give you the hurry up answer you are expecting with the kind of info you have given. IE "comp. wasn't pulling but 15a instead of 60a 3 phase"

Originally posted by geno54
    I guess I spoke too soon. Desert Aire does require an additional 26 lbs of 22 on top of the charge in the system according to there Install Man.
    That's only if the optional remote condensor is used. And the additional charge amount is dependent on how far the condensor is away from the main unit. And that is only on the first innitial charge of the start-up of the system.

And the system must get charged using all of the cycles of the unit or the charge will not be correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast