Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck or van?

Which do you prefer for service work and the occ. changeout? Van or servicebody truck...

depends on the season in the summer a pickup with a deep toolbox will do
    in the winter i need a van for all the parts i carry
    service body is nice just can't see how to store alot of parts in the cabinets

A van is the only way to go for service!

I started out in a van but have recently been assigned a service body truck and I have enjoyed the truck alot more. Granted you cannot carry as many parts, but our service area is not that large and I do have room to carry all common parts.

Van. No question about it.

All the service and installation techs have vans. I drive a pickup so I am in on the delivery and job meeting to explain the job. So that works out. Then we have my baby, a 1983 Dodge rack truck. This truck is only used occasionally but it is so handy when it is needed. 56,000 orginial miles.

I have had both, a van is better for many reasons.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I to have both and a van is the way to go. Used to pick up alot of stuff the the p/u now I have riggers do it,the cost isn't much differant. Saves us lots of time.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Talking Bof em'

Use the Van for most service. P/U for roamimg, sales, delivery and some personal. Have another set of tools and etc. in wide deep tool box so I can avoid trashing the inside of P/U.
    For those doing Resi & Comm a/c and Comm. refer., what refrigerants are you carrying on the trucks? I'm thinking of toning down what I carry and charge for fetching anything else from warehouse. Can't afford to haul 8-10 ref. + reclaim cans around all the time.

I want to try a truck. I can't see how big a difference it could be if set up right.

i have used both van for service, truck for install is what i like

Re: Bof em'

Originally posted by Stamas

For those doing Resi & Comm a/c and Comm. refer., what refrigerants are you carrying on the trucks? I'm thinking of toning down what I carry and charge for fetching anything else from warehouse.
    I do mostly commercial refrigeration, and I carry 22, mp-39, 134-a, and 404-a in a 4 jug tower rack, in a Chevy 1-ton van. If they need any other flavors, I get paid to go back to the shop to pick it up. 90% of my work is repeat customers, so I usually know if I have to bring something odd.

Running a van is the only way to run service, in my opinion. When I need to haul equipment or big tools, I have a 16' low-bed trailer. No insurance cost and cheap registration. The only drawback was the trailer lights, but I finally came up with a solution that, so far, works 100%.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Re: Bof em'

Originally posted by Stamas

For those doing Resi & Comm a/c and Comm. refer., what refrigerants are you carrying on the trucks? I'm thinking of toning down what I carry and charge for fetching anything else from warehouse. Can't afford to haul 8-10 ref. + reclaim cans around all the time.
    I carry R134a, R22, R507, R404a, R408, R409a & R22> I only use the 404a when the unit already has been charged w/it. On anything new, I'm using R507. I'm not sure how you could cut down on this list if you're doing commercial refrigeration. The worst part is when the tanks runs down, and you have to throw a spare in. Add in the reclaim tanks (I usually have 4 or 5) and you can have 15 tanks on the truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast