+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Apprentice with bad attitude

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Being lazy, or a know it all, is one thing...

but when safety is becoming a factor.....leave his ass on the curb somewhere.

if he's not lookin out for his own safety, what makes you think he's gonna protect YOURS.

Im in a steel mill, and PPE is numero uno. Even in 100*f temps...all the PPE must be used at all times, or you WILL SEE THE GATE.

Perhaps you should send some links on the TONS of deaths that occur from fall protection not being used, or mis- used.

I bet on his way down "GOD forbid", he may have a second or 2 to wish he had it.
    The boss is sending this kid with me tomarrow. If he shows up without fall protection, I'll send him back to the shop.

Post Likes
    Yeah, you could easily just tellem he's not going up...but that would make him happy...to watch you do all the work.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    The boss is sending this kid with me tomarrow. If he shows up without fall protection, I'll send him back to the shop.
    I woulda informed the boss of the situation before tomorrow ever came, if he doesnt get enough hours he cannot proceed to second year anyway. Eventually he will wisen up.

Post Likes
    Don't worry. He will be a journeyman soon and get shipped to every smaller contractor in the area screwing them over for an honest days wage. It's the union way.

Or, you could call the hall and ask them what the $#)% they are training nowadays and ask if your #(&%@ pension will be there if they keep guys like this piece of #)*$@. Tell the BA he has 24 hours to get to the bottom of the situation or you are going to the employer.

(just a thought)

Post Likes
    This guy needs to learn the error of his ways. The sooner the better for your Local, yourself, and the company you work for.

He is basically a disgrace to the profession at this point. If he can't or won't do it right then the UA doesn't need him.
    What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

Post Likes
    How has he made it to his 2nd year behaving like that? I think we have about 60 apprentices out of work who'd love to be working, even if only for a few weeks Surely your local is the same. I'm also an apprentice.... I bust my butt, I am never late, keep my mouth shut (unless it's a question about work or to ask how I can help or to say Hello), am first back from break, and leave sore at the end of the day. You can't learn any trade by slacking off and I have no bad feelings for anyone who isn't working if they have a crappy work ethic.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmondEyes View Post
    How has he made it to his 2nd year behaving like that? I think we have about 60 apprentices out of work who'd love to be working, even if only for a few weeks Surely your local is the same. I'm also an apprentice.... I bust my butt, I am never late, keep my mouth shut (unless it's a question about work or to ask how I can help or to say Hello), am first back from break, and leave sore at the end of the day. You can't learn any trade by slacking off and I have no bad feelings for anyone who isn't working if they have a crappy work ethic.
    The company I am currently with weens them out
    we pick up 20 apprentices when we need 10 and those lazy ones that open their mouth and refuse to follow rules or codes are given a much needed vacation, when doing an apprenticeship I have learned you get what you put in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    no testing..no interview..just a quick resume..one of my buddies says their
    real slow on work so getting in would be tough...had a phone interview w targetmans boss- he wanted me but said it was up to the local( and his cousin or brother bought the last co i worked for )....

but at 49 the local prob dont want me...

strange i was told they have the job posted at the hall but no replys cause
    they want applicants to take a test...

i told him id take any test he wanted...
    B.s. that company can hire you if they want to.
    Here they haver to interview anyone on the bench, reject them or tell the union they run their shops not the local.
    This owner doesnt know the protocol.
    You can get in, happens all the time.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    I don't think the OP specified the age of the apprentice, but everyone here is assuming the apprentice is a 'kid', like there aren't apprentices over the age of 40 who are lazy/drunk/late/argumentative. We all know that a poor work ethic is not exclusive to the younger generation.

Put simply, if the guy is not doing his job, he needs to be formally reprimanded, by someone who has the clear authority to send him packing. The only person who can make that happen is his immediate supervisor.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    The apprentice is 22 I believe. I had him as a helper yesterday. He had a much better attitude. He was on time, didn't wonder off for smoke breaks, and stayed on the job until I was ready to leave. Someone obviously had a talk with him.

Post Likes
    send him back!
    it is easy!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    The apprentice is 22 I believe. I had him as a helper yesterday. He had a much better attitude. He was on time, didn't wonder off for smoke breaks, and stayed on the job until I was ready to leave. Someone obviously had a talk with him.
    Or maybe he's on this forum.

With all of the kids who would die for an apprenticeship in this economy, it is unfair to them to coddle someone who won't even try. But I hope he shapes up.

Post Likes
    I,m having a similar problem with a guy I just hired, his work is impecable, but issues galore, he,s worked for me for two weeks, and on two occasions he was just a no show.
    He,ll be let go on Monday.

Post Likes
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by r22forbreakfast View Post
    Or maybe he's on this forum.

With all of the kids who would die for an apprenticeship in this economy, it is unfair to them to coddle someone who won't even try. But I hope he shapes up.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in