Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    I had him for a helper last spring at a Foundry. He rode with me but all the other BS went on. I have not been invited back since. I know he's making me look bad.
    first off, if he's making YOU look bad, I would have had a serious conversation with him. Then I would complain to the boss or supervisor or whoever you have up the ladder.

I would not tolerate that for one second.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

This is BS some of these apprentices wait months sometimes years to get their chance to work, and then there are idiots like the one you describe who does nothing but jack around and waste space for an actual decent apprentice. Go to the forman or the contractor tell him your apprentice is hindering getting the job done and is an embarrassment to you and the company.
    Come friday he should get a nice little talk about his upcoming vacation

Write employee manual if you haven't done so specifically addressing warning/terminations. If you have enough employees it may help to consult an HR attorney.

Warn:
    Not complying with safety policies.
    Attendance/punctuality issues.

Repeat = fire

with out saying any thing to the boss . send him back to the shop and tell him the boss wants to speak to him then when the boss calls you tell him you dont need his help .send me someone who wants to work safely and is on time everyday.
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

Report him to company immediately. If he is hurt and workers comp is filed, OSHA fine will result for failing to babysit employees to protect himself from hazards. Depending on your position, sometimes simply reporting to the appropriate personal fulfills your duty of care.

"Reporting back on the apprentice whom I instructed to use PPE as per company and OSHA policy, he is defiant and does not comply"

they can hire me..i show up on time or early and arent afraid of work or getting dirty...hell...ill even work ot

Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    they can hire me..i show up on time or early and arent afraid of work or getting dirty...hell...ill even work ot
    Paul, I wish I had known the circumstances.
    Local 449?

Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    Paul, I wish I had known the circumstances.
    They can hire off the street and start him somewhere.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Well I told the boss today that I don't want him helping me. Tomarrow I get to work with my buddy. He's another MES guy. When asked why, I told him about the PPE issues and told him to check the GPS report. Sad thing, I have told the Boss in the past that this kid would not work out. I'm affraid that we are stuck with him for a while. There are very few HVAC apprentices. None of them out of work.
    Local 449?

Whilst doing my apprenticeship I kept my mouth shut and listened. Funny enough I got on with all my tradesmen and there were a lot, as it was a very big company. There seems to be a lot of opinions on the younger generations being narcissistic and it certainly may be the case. I know from experience over the years that everybody these days want to talk and nobody wants to listen. Listening these days seems to be a lost skill, we can learn from anybody even if what someone says is only 5% of value, just jettison the rest.
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

Hmm hmmm...

my pops once told me..there are no bad employees ...only poor supervision...are you doing a poor job as a supervisor ...by not handling your business with this guy?....you tell me...i think you know the answer....

Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    my pops once told me..there are no bad employees ...only poor supervision...are you doing a poor job as a supervisor ...by not handling your business with this guy?....you tell me...i think you know the answer....
    If I was his Supervisor, he would have been gone long ago.
    Local 449?

Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    there are times when your Pops was wrong. There are also a LOT of bad employees.

the only thing left for this guy is to go "out back" and BEAT some sense into him, but that only happened back-in-the-day
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast