Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Apprentice with bad attitude

What can I do with this young 2nd year apprentice? I had to work with him 4 days last week. He shows up late and leaves early. He takes the van home just like me. The day starts at 8:00. He shows up around 9:00. We are working for T&M at a Mill. The plant manager has seen me whaiting for him every morning. We have GPS in the vans. Our company must not be reading the reports.

While on the job, he questions every thing I tell him to do. He argues with me on the approach I take to complete the task at hand. I value any input he may have, but I'm the mechanic on the job. Safety is also the #1 priority. The kid won't keep his hard hat and safety glasses on his head. And when fall protection was needed, he said he didn't know if he had any.

Our project in the Mill is not completed, but we are going to the shop in the morning to pick up material. I'd like to at least pull him in front of the safety manager. Let him explain why he refuses to wear his PPE when I tell him too.
    Local 449?

Have a little one on one with him. Remind him who is the teacher and who is the apprentice. If he refuses to listen to you, then you will not work with him.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

yeah you are the journeyman and you kinda like "own" him. It is good you are not pulling the stuff some of the old guys did but he is 'sposed to be putting his time in at the bottom and learning (those questions could be a good thing in learning but he's gotta show up and put on the hard hat)

heck a JOB in SE Michigan he should be a happy little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    heck a JOB in SE Michigan he should be a happy little guy.
    oh nevermind got confused with coolwhip

Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    What can I do with this young 2nd year apprentice? I had to work with him 4 days last week. He shows up late and leaves early. He takes the van home just like me. The day starts at 8:00. He shows up around 9:00. We are working for T&M at a Mill. The plant manager has seen me whaiting for him every morning. We have GPS in the vans. Our company must not be reading the reports.

While on the job, he questions every thing I tell him to do. He argues with me on the approach I take to complete the task at hand. I value any input he may have, but I'm the mechanic on the job. Safety is also the #1 priority. The kid won't keep his hard hat and safety glasses on his head. And when fall protection was needed, he said he didn't know if he had any.

Our project in the Mill is not completed, but we are going to the shop in the morning to pick up material. I'd like to at least pull him in front of the safety manager. Let him explain why he refuses to wear his PPE when I tell him too.

This is a no brainer.

Call the foreman for a new/different apprentice, let the kid explain why, no mellow dramatics from you, simply explain that you fear for for the safety of him and yourself while on the job site.

This is not the type of economy to coddle a slacker, they either get serious or get out.

Having the "one on one" is not necessarily your job, that is the job of the foreman, which is why he/she needs to be involved. They can't fix what that they don't know is broke....

You as the journeyman, or senior tech on the job have final say so who works on your jobs......

I was in the same situation not so long ago, that apprentice is now getting <24 hour weeks while we do a search for a new apprentice....Life's tough, wear a helmet...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

If he can't/won't get with the program, you know what ya gotta do. Do it.

#1 The day starts at 08:00 PERIOD. Apprentice be there by 07:45 or be gone.

#2 There is no excuse for not working safely and using the required PPE.

Would you tolerate someone bypassing a high temperature safety, NO. Bypass a disconnect, NO. Replace a fuse with copper, NO.

Time to teach him a valuable lesson. Work my way or work some ware else.

Get a new helper.

I had him for a helper last spring at a Foundry. He rode with me but all the other BS went on. I have not been invited back since. I know he's making me look bad.
    Local 449?

Its YOUR JOB , you are responsible for everything that happens or that he does.

You could be fired for his poor performance or being late if you lose the contract etc.

Tell that little beeeotch precisely how its going to be from now on frekin PERIOD.

Let him know if he does anything but immediately comply you will be calling the shop and sending him packing.
    Bad enough putting up with the third yr know it alls.

Mills are NO place for this, had a guy get his arm ripped off by a conveyor a year or so ago, he still isnt right.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I had him for a helper last spring at a Foundry. He rode with me but all the other BS went on. I have not been invited back since. I know he's making me look bad.
    Exactly, dont feel sorry for him, he isnt feeling sorry for you one little bit.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast