Traulsen URS 36 DT energy consumption

Hi,

My Mom bought a home with a Traulsen URS 36 DT. Recently the Tecumseh AEA2410AXA 1/4 Hp R12 Compressor died. As her "property manager" it is up to me to decide whether to repair this unit or replace it. She is not particularly attached to this high end unit--but I can get a new compressor installed for less than a new "home depot" refrigerator would cost.

The decision basically comes down to energy consumption. Can anyone tell me where I can find some data on energy consumption for Traulsen home refrigerators?

THANKS!
    js

Js

This unit is probably 18+ years old. R-12 units did not have any ratings as far as energy usage is concerned. Can the compressor be replaced for less then a new unit? I’m sure it can but the cost to operate and life expectancy makes it not worth while IMHO.

Let her buy a newer unit that uses much less energy.

I agree about the energy cost to operate what is basically a commercial unit. They are energy hogs as compared to today's domestic refrigerator/freezers.

I suggest you let Mom pick out a new one that she really likes, buy it, have the Traulsen repaired and sell it.

Do you know what these go for used?

http://www.appliances-4sale.com/stai...ast-side-4000/

New, these went for over $12,000. They are no longer made.

"I suggest you let Mom pick out a new one that she really likes, buy it, have the Traulsen repaired and sell it."

This is exactly what we've decided to do.

Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks a lot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_vercetti View Post
    This is exactly what we've decided to do.

Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks a lot!!!
    I bought a LG 8 years ago, still working fine.

Just keep the condenser coil (that’s the coil on the bottom) clean. Vacuum it out every couple of months.

Where is the old one located?

If your really looking at energy usage look at one with a variable speed compressor. Most of the manufactures make them in the higher end side x sides.

As far as brand. Six of one half dozen of another. I would look for available service and product warranty.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I bought a LG 8 years ago, still working fine.

Just keep the condenser coil (that’s the coil on the bottom) clean. Vacuum it out every couple of months.

Where is the old one located?
    Santa Ynez, CA; near Santa Barbara.

To far from the East Coast.

Check with local Tech schools or Unions about donating it.

Cool I'm in love with a pig of a refrigerator (Traulsen URS 36 DT)

The URS36DT refrigerator is the most socially irresponsible refrigerator ever made. The heads of Traulsen should probably be criminally prosecuted for the melanoma deaths resulting from the ozone depletion caused by these refrigerators.

My electric bills are $300 a month from it, according to the Kill-o-watt test device I plugged in to test this Traulsen pig. That's 60% of my home electric bill!!!

I tried replacing every light in the house with LEDs and my pool pump before I figured out my URS 36 DT refrigerator

Nonetheless, I love it. It is a sick co-dependency. I can't bear to sell it.

Does anyone have any ideas? How about a timer that turns off the URS36DT at night for a few hours? Is there a replacement for the Tecumseh AE500AT-733-A4 compressor that would solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_vercetti View Post
    Hi,

My Mom bought a home with a Traulsen URS 36 DT. Recently the Tecumseh AEA2410AXA 1/4 Hp R12 Compressor died. As her "property manager" it is up to me to decide whether to repair this unit or replace it. She is not particularly attached to this high end unit--but I can get a new compressor installed for less than a new "home depot" refrigerator would cost.

The decision basically comes down to energy consumption. Can anyone tell me where I can find some data on energy consumption for Traulsen home refrigerators?

THANKS!
    js

Disable the freezer section or turn it into a cooler.

If you got the fancy meter just switch the freezer off for 24 hrs and see what it says.

Turning the whole thing off for several hrs at nite makes no sense to me.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Trausen pig, continued

Thanks for the advice. Will my food defrost if I unplug for 24 hours?
    Any replacement compressors you would recommend?

Here's how my energy reading on the Traulsen came out:

First reading

Appliance: Traulsen refirgerator
    KWH 5.72
    Elapsed time 10.14
    KWH per hour 0.56
    KWH per day 13.54
    KWH per month 406.15
    KWH per month 4941.54
    Cost per KW $0.40
    Annual cost $1,976.62

Second reading

KWH 13.16
    Elapsed time 24.15
    KWH per hour 0.54
    KWH per day 13.08
    KWH per month 392.35
    KWH per month 4773.57
    Cost per KW $0.40
    Annual cost $1,909.43

I would be interested in what LED lights you installed and where you picked them up?

I own a Traulsen 48 URS unit for almost 20 years love it and have it in my kitchen my electric bill for entire home is around $170/month that includes hot water lights, etc......Maybe your thermostat needs to be replaced...I Hate to get rid of this it work great, but I just don't need a unit this size. Selling on Craigslist for $5000. I think that's a bargain for the shape it's in and the way it operates.