Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Gaskets

Hmm

I have changed out a few large copeland discus compressors in the past couple months. i have been having some trouble getting the new gaskets to seal(the green paper ones). They dont leak bad, just a little white foam when I check with bubble spray. I made sure to clean the surface of both the compressor and the valve where the gasket goes. And I made sure I bolted it on snug. Am I doing something wrong? Any tricks Of the trade I need to know?

press1 is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Never-Seez

Usually used on bolts or motor shafts to prevent sticking. It's graphite based, and will withstand the heat.

Just smear a very thin coat on the gasket both sides, and tighten the bolts in specific order.

That's what I do. Anyone else?

I thought about trying "leak lock" on the gasket but havnt tried it.

press1 is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    leak lock...the blue stuff?

It hardens. Not good for something that is getting hot, then cools down.

Just a thought.

Leak Lock a big NO. Never Sieze does work good, only not too thick. A little dab will do you. I assume you have soaked them in oil first?

Cheers

Torque to spec.

I carry two things in my bag, never seize and leak lok. I admit, you have to know where to draw the line with using leak-lok ....

I wont use never seiz on bolts that are to be torqued. I did that one time and a bolt snapped. I over torqued them.
    The neverseiz works so well with droping the friction that you dont know howmuch torque is on your bolts.

Oooooooops.

I have not used neverseiz on gaskets, yet. hmmmm?

Head gaskets? Compressor oil. It dont take much. It's safe, it's cheap, it's handy .....it works!

And if your wearin' Levi's when you do this deed ... you wont even need a rag to clean up after yourself.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Torque to spec.
    Oh, sorry. I already said what I said before.

first thing u do- put a light layer of system oil on gasket, put back in bag, then start disassembly, etc. When you are ready, so is gasket-never had 1 leak yet(*knockwood*)

Never ever use leak lock on a gasket, the best product out there for gasket sealant is made by Refrigeration Technologies and is called "Nylog".

It is available in CFC-HCFC and HFC applications and works great.

Information on it is at http://www.refrigtech.com under products

Happy New Year

Gord
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Do not put anything on a valve plate other than the valve plate, the gasket and the bolts. Period. End of story.

If people would do the job by doing properly with bolt tourques and coating the gasket with oil for a few minutes you won't have leaks. If it still leaks that plate is out of tolerance.

Now all of a sudden you got a problem with a valve plate leaking. And after about 300 I have done, not one has had trouble.

In 23 years, I've never had a new gasket leak. Even the gaskets I've had to make from gasket material in a pinch, never leaked. Like others said, you need to coat them liberally w/oil.

I should have stated that any sealant is a last resort as there should not be any leakage on properly installed gaskets.
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast