Is the humidifier solenoid loud

Hey guys....I had a new furnace/AC put in around July and also had an AprilAire 500m humidifier installed with the system. I have never had a humidifier before and its starting to get cold her western PA and the furnace has just started to run this week so this is the first time its been on. But this thing is loud, is it supposed to be?

What is loud?:
    Its when the furnace is on and it kicks the solenoid to open, you can hear the water rushing through the valve and its just loud. I can hear it through the whole house. Is this normal?

Thanks for the info!

sometimes you need a water restrictor in the humidifiers...rarely..but sometimes..id call your installer..you should only have a trickle of water out of it when its running

Is it set up to run only when the furnace runs or just when theres a call for humidity ? The water supply should be open all the way and depending on the amount of water needed to humidify there's a restrictor after the solenoid, is there a pad in the unit ? could just be the water draining that your hearing thats making all the noise.

Your talking about the yellow orifice? Thats what I was thinking!

When they were installing the system he was at that part and said he lost it, but later said he found it. Hmmm....I'm wondering if thats the part you your talking about and I bet he never found it and installed it!

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Is it set up to run only when the furnace runs or just when theres a call for humidity ? The water supply should be open all the way and depending on the amount of water needed to humidify there's a restrictor after the solenoid, is there a pad in the unit ? could just be the water draining that your hearing thats making all the noise.
    The infinity thermostat controls it when the furnace is running. The Pad is in the unit, everything visually looks fine. It sounds like the pressure at the solenoid is to great or something, rushing through and loud. But it sounds as if the orifice is in there and the pressure is just too great.

The yellow orifice is in there. Don't know why its loud. While it was on I pulled the feed tube and there is a steady flowing stream of water going into the distribution tray.

Mine is noisier than I expected too. It sounds like a faucet that is almost turned off.

maybe the peircing valve on the water line did not peirce the water line enough and it is distributing the water through a tiny orfice (just a thought) or maybe your pressure regulator going into the house is bad and you have too much water pressure going into your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbler View Post
    Mine is noisier than I expected too. It sounds like a faucet that is almost turned off.
    Exactly!! They must be that loud then!? Your description might be a better one though.

Same experience here. It's louder than I expected, but fortunately it's only noticeable when I'm near the furnace room so it isn't a major concern. I'm curious if it's supposed to sound that way, though.