Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Learning Spanish

I was thinking about trying to learn Spanish. If I was able to learn it, it could mean making extra money at work. Does anyone know of a good way to learn, or roughly how long it would take to learn? I took a little in School but I would need to learn pretty much from scratch. I've seen commercials for Rosetta stone but know nothing about it. Thanx for any insight.
    Knowledge is Truth.

Several people have told me Rosaetta Stone really helps.

The best way it to have several good spanish-english speakers that
    work with you every day teach you 5 new words every day.

Hola, yankee corndog.....

my extent of spanish...if it even is spanish.....

I would go to one of the bittorrent sites and find the spanish programs from rosetta stone and pimsleur.....try to find them with pdfs of the work books and then try them out...or use them if you can find the whole lesson plan.

But if you cant find the complete series of lessons you can at least get a feel for which system will work best for you.....rosetta stone...or pimsleur.

Then start buying some books that are written in spanish.....even childrens books....

From what I have read and heard...spanish isnt too hard to learn.....you are just going to get out of it what you put into it..... Might be nice if you have some spanish speaking radio or tv stations too....once you get to know some of the basics....

Oh... adult education..... winters coming and work will be slowing down...so you might check out some spanish courses at a local adult education class.
    "I believe this is a sovereign state of Nevada, I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don't recognize the United States government as even existing."

Cliven Bundy.... Patriot ???

I have yet to go to one non-english speaking customers house who could even afford my services

Im learning spanish on a skill builder cd it is pretty easy to understand and was priced fair. It all comes down to... Do you really wana learn spanish? really??

If I was really serious about honing my skills in Spanish, I would find myself a hot little Spanish speaking senorita and have some fun while I learned.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I would go to one of the bittorrent sites and find the spanish programs from rosetta stone and pimsleur.
    I feel an obligation to say this, so please don't take offense at it:
    Downloading copyrighted material from bittorent is illegal.

But as far as spanish goes, my mom was a high-school spanish teacher. It's pretty easy to learn, and my siblings and I grew up knowing a few words here and there.

Probably my two most vivid memories of spanish concern a friend that just found out "moco" means "booger". He said it about fifty times in the following hour.

The second memory is about a 4-H spanish program in which we were rewarded in our knowledge of spanish with burrito toppings. A kid ("Louie") knew a WHOLE lot of spanish words, and, let me tell you, he nearly ate the entire BOWL of "frijoles".

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    I have yet to go to one non-english speaking customers house who could even afford my services
    Really, I did not find that to be the case in my area. We had a large influx of Hispanics from 1998 to 2006.

I was never cheated out of one dime by any non English speaking person. I can't say that about good old English speaking Americans. The normal form of payment was cold, hard, green cash money counted into my hand when the job was done.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

However you learn it, it's "use it or lose it". Gotta use it every day. Make a friend who is bilingual.
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

I think he knew it is illegal.

You can also find rosetta stone on craigslist. I teach esl, and the rule always is, no matter how you learn, using what you learn on a daily basis is key. I learned Portuguese from a $20 cd rom and practicing on my now wife who lived in Brazil. I bought rosetta stone for spanish, and it is much better, because it is highly visual and repetitive.

And trust me, your customers will at least enjoy you are trying. Also learn to translate the words for your profession and practice using them. Good luck.

Thanks for the all the tips. I ignored the obvious Troll/ethnic slur comments. I purchased something called "Behind the wheel Spanish" and I'll see how I fare.
    Knowledge is Truth.

I'm now on level 2 in the Rosetta Stone discs. I am very satisfied with them.
    What is hard for me is to find someone to speak Spanish with on a daily basis.

We do not have a high hispanic population where I live. I am trying to learn Spanish because I like to go scuba diving in the Carribean and Mexico.

Being that I lacked having someone to practice with I went on a site called www.Meetup.com. This site will let you find a group of people for just about any interest. I typed in "Spanish Group" and found a group near me that practices Spanish. I went to a meeting tonight as a matter of fact. Nice group of adults from every walk of life . All trying to learn English for one reason or the other. Tonight we got together at a resturarant named Panera. There was about 10 of us. We took turns reading a bilingual childrens book-"Rrizos de Oro y los tres osos"
    . We laughed our asses off trying to guess how you would say this firmilar story in Spanish.

But like anything else in life. The more time you put into it the better you get. Que te vaya bein ! (leaned that tonight)

Hire a bilingual mexican and teach him the trade. Just watch out, the ones I have worked with worked very hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast