Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 98
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, near the coast
    Posts
    1,174
    Wow, is this thread off track or what?

    After re-reading my original post, it seems that I may have jumped too quickly to what may be an incorrect conclusion. Let me re-phrase. Jim, you have two verses from the Bible as your signature line. IN YOUR OPINION, what does that passage mean?
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Some people on this site are nuts! I will not give my real name to get pro membership etc. My religious beliefs are private at this point. I have defended Jews, Catholics and Muslims on this site. What difference does it make what I am? I still think ideas and words are what count. I bet you would complain if somebody called you a coward or back stabber. Where does the backstabbing comment stem from?
    No need to give a real name to get pro membership. Many people do not want their opinions here to spill over into their real life business and they keep their identity secret. While someone with great curiosity could find out my identity by going through all my posts and doing a search of the details on the net, I do not willfully say who I am because it may impact me professionally.

    Also a person's political and religious beliefs are as personal as they want to keep them. Nothing says that you can not discuss either without giving your personal beliefs out. Everyone is free to give as little or as much information out as they feel fit. If anyone feels they do not have a complete picture of the makeup of a fellow poster they can always bide their time and wait to see if more information will be forthcoming. Not like we are in a rush to get anywhere.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    No need to give a real name to get pro membership. Many people do not want their opinions here to spill over into their real life business and they keep their identity secret. While someone with great curiosity could find out my identity by going through all my posts and doing a search of the details on the net, I do not willfully say who I am because it may impact me professionally.

    Also a person's political and religious beliefs are as personal as they want to keep them. Nothing says that you can not discuss either without giving your personal beliefs out. Everyone is free to give as little or as much information out as they feel fit. If anyone feels they do not have a complete picture of the makeup of a fellow poster they can always bide their time and wait to see if more information will be forthcoming. Not like we are in a rush to get anywhere.
    Well I will rethink it again then ty for the info.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Well I will rethink it again then ty for the info.
    Other good forums that you could access then, also you would could partake in the Private Messaging feature.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,471
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Go back to the "Obammeter" thread and read Printer's explaination. I am still amazed that one was needed and still is apparantly. I'll save you the trouble and copy it here for you. Maybe the mods should read it too.

    Late coming to this thread. Heard a bit on this avatar but I think those that find it offensive miss the message. It is not an attack on Jesus or Christianity but on those that take the opinion that we as a society should not help those that are less fortunate than us. Because Jesus would not utter those words it is actually an attack on those that do utter those words and proudly proclaim themselves as Christians.

    How many here have promoted getting ride of programs to help those in need such as a universal health care system? How many have said to get rid of programs to help those at the lower end of the spectrum that have minimal income and have a problem feeding themselves? Programs to help those to lift themselves out of dire circumstances? Is this what Jesus would do?

    The cartoon of Jesus and the sick man does not hit at Jesus but at those that go against his teachings. Those that would rather call those in need just a bunch of socialists.
    Since when is printer's post anything more than his biased opinion. He himself is not a Christian and has disagreed with Christian faiths to say the least many times here. That my dear pagey is a direct attack on Jesus Christ and Christianity and because some other atheist agrees with you does not alter what it is.

    You used it as your avatar on every post you made for several weeks before you had to take it down. You could have pointed out your so called views on Christianity on one post without posted your obvious hate for Christianity on every post you made during that time. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    Wow, is this thread off track or what?

    After re-reading my original post, it seems that I may have jumped too quickly to what may be an incorrect conclusion. Let me re-phrase. Jim, you have two verses from the Bible as your signature line. IN YOUR OPINION, what does that passage mean?
    Maybe we need another thread split from the current split thread.

    The five historical books of the New Testament(The four Gospels and Acts) I believe are the most important and are set apart in many ways. They are pretty consistant as to its teaching and central message. And at the same time are in many ways the most ignored by Christians. The message is very clear in black and white terms often and get explained away. While an obscure, unclear or out of context passage gets quoted often and is used to explain something altogether different.

    My interpretation is just what is said in the passage. You quoted Matthew Henry and his explaination is a pretty good one.

    They did not take away others' property, but they were indifferent to it. They did not call it their own; because they had, in affection, forsaken all for Christ, and were expecting to be stripped of all for cleaving to him. No marvel that they were of one heart and soul, when they sat so loose to the wealth of this world. In effect, they had all things common; for there was not any among them who lacked, care was taken for their supply.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Since when is printer's post anything more than his biased opinion. He himself is not a Christian and has disagreed with Christian faiths to say the least many times here. That my dear pagey is a direct attack on Jesus Christ and Christianity and because some other atheist agrees with you does not alter what it is.

    You used it as your avatar on every post you made for several weeks before you had to take it down. You could have pointed out your so called views on Christianity on one post without posted your obvious hate for Christianity on every post you made during that time. Thank you very much.
    You say Printer is an atheist, I do not know if he is or not. Every Christian or knowledgeable person I know personally agrees with that assessment. It is clear that is what was meant by me and the author of that avatar. To me only somebody like the second son in the parable of the two sons would take it the way you did.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,471
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You say Printer is an atheist, I do not know if he is or not. Every Christian or knowledgeable person I know personally agrees with that assessment. It is clear that is what was meant by me and the author of that avatar. To me only somebody like the second son in the parable of the two sons would take it the way you did.
    Well if you know so many "Christians" who agree with you then let them post. I'm sure that is pure fabrication on your part here pagey. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well if you know so many "Christians" who agree with you then let them post. I'm sure that is pure fabrication on your part here pagey. Thank you very much
    I am not lying. I'm sorry fabricating. Nice of you to say so though lol. If they posted here they would be trolls since they have nothing to do with the HVAC industry. My advice would be for you to read the four Gospels and Acts of the Apostles again and again. I have found this so amazing I have been planning to tell them to read that thread lol.

    What is next? Maybe Bible passages will be banned from sigs lol.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Since when is printer's post anything more than his biased opinion. He himself is not a Christian and has disagreed with Christian faiths to say the least many times here. That my dear pagey is a direct attack on Jesus Christ and Christianity and because some other atheist agrees with you does not alter what it is.

    You used it as your avatar on every post you made for several weeks before you had to take it down. You could have pointed out your so called views on Christianity on one post without posted your obvious hate for Christianity on every post you made during that time. Thank you very much.
    My posts are my biased opinion, as any others posts here is their biased opinion.

    Glenn, are you forgetting all the questions you have asked me in the past about my religious background and beliefs. I would think you would realize I am anything but an atheist. The disagreements I have had with 'Christians' here in the past had to do with their interpretation of the bible and the type of life that it teaches us to follow.

    Pagey's cartoon is in line with the cartoon of Mohamed wearing an exploding turban or explosive vest. It is meant as a mirror for the faithful to look into and question whether actions by believers are in keeping with the peaceful loving nature they say their religion is to portray.

    In the case of Islam, many believers could not see past the image and to the root of the message of the cartoon. It seems the same can be said for the cartoon with Jesus.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,471
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    My posts are my biased opinion, as any others posts here is their biased opinion.

    Glenn, are you forgetting all the questions you have asked me in the past about my religious background and beliefs. I would think you would realize I am anything but an atheist. The disagreements I have had with 'Christians' here in the past had to do with their interpretation of the bible and the type of life that it teaches us to follow.

    Pagey's cartoon is in line with the cartoon of Mohamed wearing an exploding turban or explosive vest. It is meant as a mirror for the faithful to look into and question whether actions by believers are in keeping with the peaceful loving nature they say their religion is to portray.

    In the case of Islam, many believers could not see past the image and to the root of the message of the cartoon. It seems the same can be said for the cartoon with Jesus.
    Sorry for the characterization of you as a atheist. My memory is not that good I do remember you arguing against the beliefs of several Christians in the past and pushed it a bit in my analysis of you.

    However I hardly disagree with you that pagey's avatar which he enjoyed displaying on every post he made was done to point out mainly hypocrisy but more so to attack Christianity. If he wished to point hypocrisy out he could have started a thread on the subject or at least to post his "beliefs" on this.

    He never did but. Based on his past posts and beliefs I feel that this was done so he could attack Christianity and laugh about how he was getting away with it without anyone calling his hand on this.

    Now the cartoon on Muhammad was different in that it basically told the truth about Muhammad in my opinion. He believed in killing non believers if they did not convert or make slaves out of them.

    But Jesus never acted like pagey's cartoon in any way at any time. So there is no historical evidence which he can bring forward to defend his "cartoon". Thank you, thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Sorry for the characterization of you as a atheist. My memory is not that good I do remember you arguing against the beliefs of several Christians in the past and pushed it a bit in my analysis of you.

    However I hardly disagree with you that pagey's avatar which he enjoyed displaying on every post he made was done to point out mainly hypocrisy but more so to attack Christianity. If he wished to point hypocrisy out he could have started a thread on the subject or at least to post his "beliefs" on this.

    He never did but. Based on his past posts and beliefs I feel that this was done so he could attack Christianity and laugh about how he was getting away with it without anyone calling his hand on this.

    Now the cartoon on Muhammad was different in that it basically told the truth about Muhammad in my opinion. He believed in killing non believers if they did not convert or make slaves out of them.

    But Jesus never acted like pagey's cartoon in any way at any time. So there is no historical evidence which he can bring forward to defend his "cartoon". Thank you, thank you very much.
    Firstoff, I cannot start a thread. LOL probably has someyhing to do with my "punishment." The reason for the avatar was to point out hypocrisy. I don't need pointers from you in how to point out hypocrisy, but thank you anyway. When have I ever bashed Christianity? Some might say you bash Christianity with almost every post. I find it funny you are using terms like enjoy and laugh when describing me. Is there a webcam on this thing that I don't know about?
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Hey Glenn "Superman Returns" is on now. Which is your favorite? I bet it was the TV show. The TV show was my favorite.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event