Smile

These are some pics of two projects I'm currently working on. One is a 1929 Frigidaire and the other is a 1930 GE Monitor Top.

I know the pics are too big, but it shows details that some might be interested in.

Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    Is that Monitor Top an R-12 machine or sulphur dioxide?

The Frigidaire says SO2 right on it
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

All monitor top units were SO2 or Methal Formate, Unfortunatly they never made an R12 version.
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    I had one made in 1933 or so, it was R-12, or at least that is what was on the label.

The condenser was slightly different in appearance; completely cylinder shaped as viewed from the outside;
    the condenser tubes were not apparent.
    I'll look around and see if I still have pics of it.

[Edited by boat racer on 12-30-2004 at 08:51 PM]
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

That would be great if you have a pic, The literature that I have only goes up to 1934 and doesn't have any listings for an r12 unit.

A r12 unit would certainly make it more desirable to work on.

I hate so2 with a passion.

Methal Formate???

Originally posted by coolclassics
    All monitor top units were SO2 or Methal Formate, Unfortunately they never made an R12 version.
    Before R12 came on the scene, the refrigerant of choice for domestic refrigeration was either sulfur dioxide or methyl chloride. I remember the odor of each one quite distinctly. We had some commercial equipment with each one running in the cellar.

When I was a kid we saw a skunk under the back porch. My father snaked some 1/4" tubing into where the critter was and gave it a shot of SO2. It went running into the woods, coughing and gagging, never to return.

Ah, the smell of rotten eggs!
    My childhood summers were spent parting out antiquity just like those.
    Wait until the end of the day, cut a line & run.
    Come back the next morning, and try not to shake the compressor.

Sortof along the same lines, anybody remember the Crosley Icy Ball?
    http://www.ggw.org/~cac/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html

[Edited by bwal2 on 12-31-2004 at 10:21 PM]

Yes Sulphur Dioxide and Methyl Chloride were the main refrigerants prior to 1935, but there were several others such as Methyl Formate which oddly enough ran in a vacuum on both high and low sides.

Comparing SO2 to rotten eggs, is like saying phosgene gas smells like candy.

I hate so2, it sucks that the coolest looking fridges always had the worst gas in em.

Gord