Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Day One

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    I've already stated what I expect of the Republicans for the next two years.

Gridlock.
    More of the same or in other words they will run for re election again and not govern.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    More of the same or in other words they will run for re election again and not govern.
    Gridlock would be far preferable to what we've had the last two years.

Gridlock would be far preferable to what we've had the last two years.
    Your saying a stagnent economy is preferable over positive change, You must be retired or be a white collar man.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Bob View Post
    Your saying a stagnent economy is preferable over positive change, You must be retired or be a white collar man.
    Ahhhh, this illustrates the difference between a liberal and conservative.

You believe we can only exist with the help of the government. You believe the economy cannot function without government to make decisions for it and manage it. You believe that we must have big brother controlling all things, holding our hands while we walk, taking care of us. You believe that neither business nor regular people are capable of making decisions or taking care of their own money.

I believe that government is more often the problem than the solution. I believe that government partially caused this bad economy, and more government will likely make it worse or delay a recovery. That is what has been happening for the last two years. I believe in the strength of the American people and a free market system. I believe that the economy will fix itself if the government will only get out of the way. And gridlock is just that, getting government out of the way. Stopping the insane legislation of the last two years that has business in holding mode...terrified to hire or expand because of all the crap that will/would be thrown at it by bills like the healthcare plan or cap and tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Bob View Post
    Wow what have you been smoking for two years. All we have got from the Marxist Obama is negative change. He is killing our economy and destroying America to build a new commie Soviet America. Stagnation is better than destruction. I'd rather be in a holding pattern until we get an American citizen in the White House again. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Ahhhh, this illustrates the difference between a liberal and conservative.

You believe we can only exist with the help of the government. You believe the economy cannot function without government to make decisions for it and manage it. You believe that we must have big brother controlling all things, holding our hands while we walk, taking care of us. You believe that neither business nor regular people are capable of making decisions or taking care of their own money.

I believe that government is more often the problem than the solution. I believe that government partially caused this bad economy, and more government will likely make it worse or delay a recovery. That is what has been happening for the last two years. I believe in the strength of the American people and a free market system. I believe that the economy will fix itself if the government will only get out of the way. And gridlock is just that, getting government out of the way. Stopping the insane legislation of the last two years that has business in holding mode...terrified to hire or expand because of all the crap that will/would be thrown at it by bills like the healthcare plan or cap and tax.
    You seem to be describing Laissez-Faire Capitalism. It doesn't exist and when we get close to it the economy always collapses. Capitalism cannot and doesn't thrive without govt. controls.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You seem to be describing Laissez-Faire Capitalism. It doesn't exist and when we get close to it the economy always collapses. Capitalism cannot and doesn't thrive without govt. controls.
    I will agree that there is a time and place for limited regulation and oversight by government.

The problem comes when we have excessive regulation, bad regulation, or legislation that is adversarial to business and or job creation. This is what I was referring to in the last two years.

We were told that taxes would go up on the higher wage earners, though that may not happen now. A tax increase during an economy like this is insane. The healthcare bill has hurt business and job creation. It's caused premiums to go up even more than normal, and business is scared to death about what the changes will do to them. Cap and tax was another nightmare looming in the wings, though it is probably dead now too. (thank goodness)

There's more, but hopefully this will give you the idea. The Republican takeover of congress should stop or slow down some of this stuff, and hopefully limit any new legislation that would be detrimental to economic recovery. I'm hoping this will make business feel a little better about spending some money and expanding (jobs).

Cap and tax or cap and trade was dreamed up by George H W Bush

How is it that the brilliance of the GOP is so reviled by its constituents in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Cap and tax or cap and trade was dreamed up by George H W Bush

How is it that the brilliance of the GOP is so reviled by its constituents in the future?
    Wrong

The concept actually began in the late 60's. It came to a head again during the Clinton administration when he got behind Kyoto. Bush refused to sign Kyoto, effectively killing C&T for the remainder of his term. Both Obama and the Democratic leadership drug this back out as soon as they were in power and it was one of the main items in their agenda until recently when they realized they've lost the battle for now.

Oh and, True conservatives don't like a lot of the things that Republicans want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    of a brand new world. And nothing has changed.
    Duh..........none of them take office until January.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Duh..........none of them take office until January.
    Stop confusing Mancow with the facts.

you gentleman seem to forget, there is still two months left of democratic control.

And personally, I ain't to worried about Nobama anymore. I'm worried about Bernanke and his "Quantitative Easing"

Printing more money without any income or backing is not risky, it down right dangerous.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this economy is headed for another serious bust. with inflation right on it's heels.

day one? Thats all most laughable. It's going to take 50 years to recover from what has been "accomplished" in the last two years
    PUB'S
    The Official sunblock of Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    And personally, I ain't to worried about Nobama anymore. I'm worried about Bernanke and his "Quantitative Easing"
    Here's an interesting read, from Ben Bernanke himself.
    http://www.federalreserve.gov/Bernan...d_20101104.pdf

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast