Sodadude - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sodadude

This is a " 'Lil Fella" self-refrigerated, six head unit from International Carbonic (http://www.ici.us). It has a 15 lb ice bank (which forms on the cooling coils), and a 1 gallon carbonator reserve.

Some notes on the self-refrigerating feature: The carbonator tank sits in the cold water tank at the top of the unit with the pump, compressor, and radiator underneath. The lines from the syrup run in copper tubing in circles around the carbonator tank (4 passes each) to chill the syrup just before it is dispensed. We love not having to deal with ice.

ya gotta love this footnote: from the link above

Finally, I worry about some people building these machines because of the electrical and suffocation hazards. My machine was improperly grounded and gave me a nasty shock when I stuck my finger in the water. And 13% CO2 in the air will kill a person in just a few minutes. For liability reasons, you should probably include a disclaimer on your site recommending that people NOT do any of this.

Carbonators

Originally posted by ct2
    Sodadude:
    how does a carbonater actually work ? I am trying to picture this . You have a fresh water line- and a co2 line feeding the carbonator pump and a carbonated water line on the discharge side , but is the carbonator compressing the gas water mixture? and arent those brass pumps? I understand that carbonated water reacts with copper and produces a toxic by product but what about brass ?

you may have missed this but I have had the machine for years , but I finally took the steps I needed to go to school and I would like to learn all I can about this busniess . I think I would like to go into this end of the bus
    As a rule you should have 100 Psi of co2 going to the carb. Now a water pressure regulator before the carb is usually a good idea, especially if there is very high water pressure.Usually 50 to 65 psi is very good pressure to run a carbonator quietly.

So picture this, you have a stainless steel tank with 100 psi of gas and you need to fill it with water. You only have 65 psi of water, so water cannot get into the tank because 100 beats 65 everytime.

As the undertaker said, the float probe or the liquid level control calls the motor to turn on. The brass pump is usually rated for 250 psi. So when it is pumping you have 250 plus your 65 water pressure for a total of 315 psi. Because 315 is greater that the 100 psi in the tank, it forces the water into the tank to mix with the gas.

The comment you had about the 40 is true. In order for the gas bubbles to cling to the water you want your drinks to come out of the nozzle 40 or preferably lower. The colder the better.

When drinks come out above 40 they tend to foam up. And when the foam dissipates, say bye bye to your carbonation.

Counter electric and icecombo units are very good for producing cold carbonated drinks. Where we run into trouble is with barguns.

On a bargun you use a small coldplate in a sink packed with ice on top of it. Sometimes we chill the syrups through the coldplate to help knock down the drink temperature. Barguns you are lucky to get it under 40 because the syrup is usually room temperature or in some cases the syrup is located in a boiler room or some stupid place and it is difficult to knock down the drink temperature.

Hope it helps.

BTW I had an account once where the double check valve on the carbonator failed and when they flushed their toilet they had soda bubbles in it. Heeh, heh.
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12