Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaporator coil

Evaporator coil

Greetings,
    I'm having issues with an installation of a heat/ac unit. A technician (not the original installer) said the ac evaporator coil was installed in reverse. The installer said the unit is a mulit-positional unit and it does not matter what position it is installed. The apex of the coil is pointed toward the furnace and as a result the manufacturers insulation was torn from the plenum walls and sitting on the coils (trapped when the air flows across it). Does multi-positional mean that you can have the apex of the coil pointed toward the air flow? Or does it mean that the ac coil can be installed in a vertical or horizontal position, but not installed in reverse? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Model number of the coil would be helpfull....there is a particular way these can be positioned.
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

Model number

ATXCC008CC3HCAA

See crazy new stuff on this site daily, I've never seen the coil installed with the apex down, how is it going to drain condensate?

would love to see pics of this.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

It is an attic installation and the fau/coil is horizontal. I would love to post a pic but I'm not sure how to do that. Any advice?

Here's the installation manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adnshel View Post
    See crazy new stuff on this site daily, I've never seen the coil installed with the apex down, how is it going to drain condensate?
    I really hope you're being a smart ass. Otherwise, I'm really worried about you being a pro and working on these things.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Don't know any today but in the past many Lennox A coils were installed with apex down below a counterflow. York did that too. Drain pan was under the apex.

well an "A" coil below a downflow is a "V" as far as the air is conserned (apex to the airflow)

As I said, the unit is installed in the horizontal position. The 'apex' is facing the air flow. This has caused the insulation (manufacturer's insulation that is glued to the plenum/cabinet) to tear off and become trapped against the coil when the unit runs. So, the installer saying that the unit is a multi-positional type unit is true, however, it does not mean that it is a unit that can be installed in reverse of the flow. Correct?

BMathews

If you read the OP, and if this is installed as an upflow....how are you going to install the evap coil effectively? Also, the OP talks about multi-positional....that is talking about furnace....not evap.

Quote Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
    Greetings,
    I'm having issues with an installation of a heat/ac unit. A technician (not the original installer) said the ac evaporator coil was installed in reverse. The installer said the unit is a mulit-positional unit and it does not matter what position it is installed. The apex of the coil is pointed toward the furnace and as a result the manufacturers insulation was torn from the plenum walls and sitting on the coils (trapped when the air flows across it). Does multi-positional mean that you can have the apex of the coil pointed toward the air flow? Or does it mean that the ac coil can be installed in a vertical or horizontal position, but not installed in reverse? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

To clarify, the system is installed in the attic and is lying on its side. The installation is like this: first the heater is installed with the air flow to the right (or the base of the unit), then the evaporator coil (with the apex of the coil facing the heater/heat exchanger), then the plenum with the distribution lines. Does this explanation help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast