Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Humidifiers

Post Likes

Steam Humidifiers

I am looking to install a steam humidifier. I was looking into the Honeywell models then stumbled across EWC. I was wondering which one is the better option. Which one do you guys here recommend? Is there a better option out there? I would like to purchase the one that will do the job the best, not necessairly the most expensive. Oh, and if possible, still made in the US.
    The total sq ft of the house is about 2500.
    Any help and ifo would be great.
    TIA

Post Likes
    A normally tight home with a family of 4 should need very little additional humidification. It's a myth that the heating system dries the air. The dry air is created by warm air from the home exfiltrating to the outdoors and fresh, cold air from outdoors infiltrating to take it's place. The warming of the fresh outdoor air naturally lowers the relative humidity. The moral of the story is that you probably would do better to spend your money on decreasing the exfiltration rate of air from you home. Then if you still need some humidity, you can get something much more basic and less costly to operate. But if you insist on sticking with a steamer, then go with the recommendation of the company that you will have maintaining it.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    A normally tight home with a family of 4 should need very little additional humidification. It's a myth that the heating system dries the air. The dry air is created by warm air from the home exfiltrating to the outdoors and fresh, cold air from outdoors infiltrating to take it's place. The warming of the fresh outdoor air naturally lowers the relative humidity. The moral of the story is that you probably would do better to spend your money on decreasing the exfiltration rate of air from you home. Then if you still need some humidity, you can get something much more basic and less costly to operate. But if you insist on sticking with a steamer, then go with the recommendation of the company that you will have maintaining it.
    Well to be honest the house isn't that tight. There are leaks at the 20yr old windows that I will be replacing. Its only me in the house so I am not sure how much moisture I alone put in there air. A shower a day. Plus normal breathing.
    I also have a forced air system. As far as how much humidity I have in the house during winter, I always went by the crown moldings in the house and the caulk shrinking during winter and expanding back in summer. Am I wrong with that evaluation?

Post Likes
    yeah i dunno you have to be bringing in outside air to like breath. I do not care much for the steamers they eat a lot of expencive electricity. I like a bypass type hooked up to the hot water if you need maximum effect.

Post Likes
    I agree with fearless steam humidifiers are costly up front and more costly to operate, would suggest a good automatic bypass it will do the job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclarry View Post
    I agree with fearless steam humidifiers are costly up front and more costly to operate, would suggest a good automatic bypass it will do the job.
    Ok bypass then. I just want a humidifier that will do the job that I want. I am sick of every winter the moldings in the house separating from the walls, and drywall cracking. Am I correct in assuming that it is a humidity situation?
    What by-pass ones do u guys recommend??

Post Likes
    Havent tested your house, but those are conditions of low humidity. do you have a digital temp sensor that reads humidity to make sure it is going low in the winter? I like and recommend the aprilaire 600A

Post Likes
    If you're planning some expensive upgrades like windows you might want to invest in having someone do a blower door test and find out where your actual leakage is occurring. My house is about the same age as yours and I also thought my original wood frame windows were a great source of leakage. As it turns out the window leakage was minimal but there were serious air leaks through the electrical boxes and around my brick fireplace.
    I replaced my windows anyway (due to some rot) but I accomplished most of my leak sealing with $200 worth of spray foam, caulk and switch plate gaskets.

Post Likes
    I like aprilair. honeywell has one that is pretty much the same. some of the furnace brands are just april-airs with a different name on them. try to get something that takes a evaporator pad common in your area ( april air #35, #10, or #12 around here)

Post Likes
    That's what I discovered too.
    I have an Aprilaire 700m except it's Grey instead of White and says Lennox on the cover.
    My Installer stuck a Carrier sticker on it to make me feel better.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys for all the info and recommendations. Also I forgot to mention that I own a middle unit townhouse, so I just reall have the front and back to contend with. I will look into leaks there and check out the Aprilaire Products.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WGFA View Post
    Thanks guys for all the info and recommendations. Also I forgot to mention that I own a middle unit townhouse, so I just reall have the front and back to contend with. I will look into leaks there and check out the Aprilaire Products.
    I think you said you have 2500 sq ft? If you want to make sure and have enough humidity, try the Aprilaire 700A powered humidifier with the fan control option. Mount it in the supply plenum for max effect. Use hot water. The last two we've put in have the ability to turn on the furnace fan on a call for humidity. That is better than humidifying only when furnace is heating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    I think you said you have 2500 sq ft? If you want to make sure and have enough humidity, try the Aprilaire 700A powered humidifier with the fan control option. Mount it in the supply plenum for max effect. Use hot water. The last two we've put in have the ability to turn on the furnace fan on a call for humidity. That is better than humidifying only when furnace is heating.
    Yea Evan I have about 2500sqft. I had the 700a a few yrs ago and it stopped working so I bought the Honeywell model from home depot with the sail switch. And to be honest neither of them (I thought anyway) did that well of a job. I used to have a kenmore drum type flow thru, that to be honest, worked the best. I would love to find one like that, but all the drum types out there now seem to be all by-pass types. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    you loved a drum type?!!!
    easy guys dont upset him. he aint quite right in the head.

Post Likes
    they might work great. I dont know if Ive ever seen one that still worked

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    LOL,
    That's fine, you all can laugh at me all you want, but all I know is that one did the job the best. If there is a type out there that does the job as well as that one did please recommend it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WGFA View Post
    And to be honest neither of them (I thought anyway) did that well of a job.
    You are saying that they did not humidify adequately??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    I still repair them occasionally when I can't talk the ho into an Aprilaire.

They actually work quite well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post

They actually work quite well.
    YOU TOO!???

I'm taking my ball home now.

Every furnace changeout we do that had a drum,
    Usually had green gunk all the way down the return drop or plenum... the drum is off its bearing on one end, and the tray is cracked halfway down, and the fungi and mushrooms are flourishing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    YOU TOO!???

I'm taking my ball home now.

Every furnace changeout we do that had a drum,
    Usually had green gunk all the way down the return drop or plenum... the drum is off its bearing on one end, and the tray is cracked halfway down, and the fungi and mushrooms are flourishing.
    Hey, I'm a tech and if I don't fix it and the HO wants to keep using it, who am I to argue?

If they get a new pad and cleaning every year they work fine.

With all that being said they are certainly not my favorite!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in