So I'm layin in bed last night, wondering... the sewer lines in a tall building (say 10 stories or more), do they just dump straight down into the sewage pit/sewer system, or do they have traps to slow the poo down?

My other half thought I was nuts when I was laying there, half awake, laughing thinking of the increadible speed of the pooh flying down a little pipe.

So what's the vertic you plumbing guru's?

Tallest building I ever was responsible for was 11 stories.

There was a booster pump and pressure tank on the 5th floor to get water up to the top and there were S-shaped traps every few floors to slow down the descent. There were also a couple of big tanks at various levels where the stuff coming down would fall into the top of the tank and then start moving again out a drain pipe on the side. These tanks had vent pipes that went out the wall to fresh air. I guess to stop the syphon effect of 50 gallons of waste moving at 80 mph.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Potable water is pumped to the top floors storage where it flows by gravity. Sanitary is "staged" downward a few floors at a time (not sure the exact number).

Thanks fella's! I knew there had to be some magic to this. But it still is entertaining thinking of the speeds it'd hit the bottom with no traps!

I have been is some high rises were the Chiller water had a ton of pressure on it.
    On a 20 or 40 story building the main line going from the air cooled rooftop to the chiller in the mechanical room basement, can be real scarry doing a wet Tap.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

At the plant we use control valves set at a certain amount of pressure, set to release easy, to slow the velosity of poop and stuff. The pumps in the sump will handle the out flow.

Originally posted by amickracing
    My other half thought I was nuts when I was laying there, half awake, laughing thinking of the increadible speed of the pooh flying down a little pipe.
    You just made coffee come out my nose, now I gotta clean my keyboard.
    R2B4BTU

yea like what was said about the syphon effect.....imagine the guy sitting on the top toilet....suck his a** down the drain

Originally posted by oroy54
    At the plant we use control valves set at a certain amount of pressure, set to release easy, to slow the velosity of poop and stuff. The pumps in the sump will handle the out flow.

I was in a Orange juice plant in Dade city Florida, they were using steam for reheat. I had to purchase valves for the pneumatic controls they were using, it went from 600PSI to 30 PSI, cost was 400 bucks a poop er....I mean pop.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

you figure it would be like a highway with entrance ramps as the floors dump out during a normal day into the risers they would slow each other down...no alternate murging allowed.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY