Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I worked on a medium temp. R-22 rack today. Compressor was tripping on oil failure. I valved off the compressor and drained the oil out to check the screen. This screen was covered with a thick silver paste. I cleaned it real good and put it back in and all was fine. The oil has been completly changed on this rack 2 times in the past 2 months and the oil is still filthy. How many times does it usually have to be changed before it is clean? And what is that silver sludge anyways?

The silver sludge is valves or pistons.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Originally posted by absrbrtek
    The silver sludge is valves or pistons.
    Correction, Abs, USED to be valves or pistons.

I call that " flashy " oil . ( in other words , fancy )

Like , " hey boy , that sure is some flashy oil you got there ! "

kinda reminds me of panning for gold as a kid...

Well how long does it take to clean up a system like this? And is there anything else I should be doing besides changing oil and filters?

Talking

Originally posted by thegoodhumorman
    kinda reminds me of panning for gold as a kid...

I was no kid, but I was certainly panning for gold in a noisy environment.

Originally posted by ace12
    Well how long does it take to clean up a system like this? And is there anything else I should be doing besides changing oil and filters?
    Not much. I think I might've suggested you go to an auto parts store and buy a case fo cheap brake cleaner, then go in and change the oil and ALL the filters.

Drop and clean the separator, clean every single sightglass that you can, also.

Remember that there are screens in the Sporlan oil level regualator inlets, but not in the AC&R ones.

Remember to thoroughly clean the sump screens in each compressor, and to replace the suction filter blocks more than the liquid ones.

I install sightglasses in the oil lines from the separator to the reservoir, and from the reservoir to the manifold, if there aren't any.

I also, on a VERY dirty rack, have been known to install OF303s in the line leaving the separator, to the reservoir, and then an SF283 from the reservoir to the manifold, with pressrue taps on either side of every single filter. Lately, I've been using the ROF413 Sporlan shell, with replaceable cartridges, it winds up being MUCH cheaper in the long run, as the shell is selling for about the same as an OF303, but the cartridges are almost half the cost...

There is no magic, or no fast answer. The cleanup could take months, or one filter and oil change could do it. It's hard to say.

Did the dirty oil cause a breakdown? If it got that far, then it's going to take some time and money to get it back to normal.

Originally posted by ace12
    I worked on a medium temp. R-22 rack today. Compressor was tripping on oil failure. I valved off the compressor and drained the oil out to check the screen. This screen was covered with a thick silver paste. I cleaned it real good and put it back in and all was fine. The oil has been completly changed on this rack 2 times in the past 2 months and the oil is still filthy. How many times does it usually have to be changed before it is clean? And what is that silver sludge anyways?
    Start with the oil separator. Clean that good, then change the oil and filters, and see what happens it might not be all that bad.

I've seen them where the dirt would shut down a whole damn rack.......

I have cleaned up many racks by just using the ROF replaceable core type sporlan oil filters with no problems. Just change filters every time the pressur drop rises to 10+ psig (maybe every day or 2 for a few weeks) This break down of the refrigerant oil happens mostly on low temp r-22 racks that have a compression ratio over 10 to 1! Thats what I have observed!

Personally I have witnesses the oil go from black to light brown from just filters.

Dave's got the bling-bling in the oil boyee

Originally posted by NedFlanders
    Dave's got the bling-bling in the oil boyee
    Yeah!

Or, rather,

WHUT??????????

hmmm racks require oil, you learn something new everyday. next thing your gonna try n tell me is you gotta keep the door closed for product to stay cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast