So I go on a call to a small natural food store in a nearby college town to check out a “non-functioning” AE4440A. Tries to start, but trips on the klixon. Bad start components or bad pump, right?
Now to access the little equipment room for the coolers, you have to go through the bar next door. College swamp bar, nobody there until 9:00 PM tonight. So I get the homemade start package I made up 30+ years ago out of the truck, hook up an extension cord to one of the bar receptacles, and proceed to connect the alligator clips to the terminals on the pump. Plus, the green one to ground.
Plug the package into the extension cord, and BAMM!!!, fireworks at the plug end! I look at the cord end, and it’s fried at the ground terminal. So I figure I have screwed up. I check to see if there is power to the condensing unit, nope,,, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG???
Checked the ground terminal on the cord to ground on the grocery store’s panel and I get 120V!!!!
I go out to the bar, and check several receptacles, ground to sinks, water pipes etc. Every one shows 120V.
There must be (1) a dead short somewhere, and (2) the grounding wires must be disconnected in the panel.
Have you ever seen a mess like this? I called the cops, local building inspector, and the power company to cover my butt, picked up, and left. Building owner (and bar owner) wasn’t answering the phone.
Never a dull moment!