Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    why is HVAC ALWAYS linked with plumbing?

I traded Plumbing & Heating

to just the Furnace Co. name. Toilets are for pooin' in. Not for me to work on.
    Furnace out? Better call a plumber! Where the hell did that come from? I hate that too! I even tried having a furnace ad under plumbing 1 year. Gotta lotta calls........ Hey my toilets stopped up!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I know that plumbers will run gas lines but I have no idea how toilets got mixed up with mechanical trades.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

poop and furnaces make since.

NOT

It's not so bad when they just call plumbers to fix it, it's really bad when they actually do try to fix it. Now I know there are some plumbers out there who know thier stuff and can fix anything under the sun, but thats kinda rare.

well I believe that that is some people in any trade that are just mechanicaly gifted and can fix anything u put in front of them but there is alot of plumbers in my area that say plumbing and heating when if u ask them the last time they changed an hsi on a furnace they will say what happened to tc and standing pilots

I am just asking this because I got a call to day asking that since I do heating do I do plumbing since their basement ws flooded and the furnace wouldn't work

If you go back in time, like to the 30's or 40's or so, practically all service companies were involved in plumbing and heating. Heating back then was done by plumbers, much of it hot water or steam, they went hand in hand. My grandpops biz and my dads biz were called Dice Plumbing & Heating.
    Then as A/C became popular, many of those same companies got into it as well.
    Only later on did strictly A/C and Heating companies start springing up a lot.
    I am talking mainly about the resi side of things now.
    Anyway, old habits and names are hard to break.
    I started out doing plumbing, and soon realized it wasn't for me.....whew........
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Talking

hey dice why isn't plumbing for you

I can barely stand to wipe my OWN ass.......
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    If you go back in time, like to the 30's or 40's or so, practically all service companies were involved in plumbing and heating. Heating back then was done by plumbers, much of it hot water or steam, they went hand in hand. My grandpops biz and my dads biz were called Dice Plumbing & Heating.
    Then as A/C became popular, many of those same companies got into it as well.
    Only later on did strictly A/C and Heating companies start springing up a lot.
    I am talking mainly about the resi side of things now.
    Anyway, old habits and names are hard to break.
    I started out doing plumbing, and soon realized it wasn't for me.....whew........
    Pretty dead on...

When forced air heat hit the market, the market was cold northern cities. They were the area of highest motivated, best able potential client-base concentrated in the smallest areas and accessible by major shipping. Guess who got the new heat first?

When a/c came along it was another circulated liquid in a coil added to the 'forced air' heating ducts, which already contained a heat exchanging surface of somekind that the plumber was (supposedly) learning to deal with as it came along. This is why so many freon based systems do not peform well on older homes. No one then, no matter how visionary, could have forseen needing 300 cfm average on most of the house's room runs on a calculated duct run for heating.

When heatpumps came along and further complicated the process of giving econonomical heating sources then refrigerant bearing components and controls as a seperate trade began to emerge.

This, IMHO, is why a knowledge of control concept and design, design principles and application of Man J and D (as a min.) and an ability to assimilate new knowledge into practice as soon as possible will always define the true modern master in residential 'comfort control systems' over the nest 10-20 years in an ever saturating market. Refrigeration is a market unto itself...

"That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Originally posted by Diceman
    I can barely stand to wipe my OWN ass.......
    Amen. Same here.

hey somebodies crap is somebody elses bread and butter might be mine when I get into cleaning drains next year

And when mechanical refrigeration first came out, it was electrical contractors who were some of the first copeland and tecumseh dealers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast