Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoker Help!

lets try this a while

got a small butt and some deer brats , 25 pounds of charcoal and a few samual evens, with a sip or two of "shine" everything should be good,,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you build it they will come,,,they built it and they went.

Your looking for a nice blue grey smoke rolling out the chimney not a billowing cloud. Put the butt on the counter while you start your fire to let it warm a little this helps with the bark. Give it a good rub down with whatever your using for rub. For shoulders/butts I smoke until internal temp hits 170 than wrap in foil till 195* than pull it off the smoker and put in a small cooler with a clean dish towel on top to absorb some of the moisture after it rests for about 30-45 min throw some rubber gloves on and shred it. A side of slaw, hush puppies, a cold beer and plenty of vinegar sauce I think you'll be alright
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Heres mine. It started life as a dented expansion tank and home depot trailer with a bent frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a couple questions please, I smoked a butt,ribs and a chicken along with a fatty yesterday. I loaded it up fired it witht he hickory,let it burn to coals then at 225 to 250 i filled it up ,closed the vent door, opened the stack all the way and let it go, as temp did come down I added split wood to it,and let it continue to cook, after about 4 hrs it the stuff was within temp so I pulled everything but the butt and wrapped it, Everything was good but I think I may have oversmoked it? It did have a great black coating on the outsides and all tasted good, but for a longer smoke/cook i dont know how to keep it from getting bitter/ whats your thoughts?
    If you build it they will come,,,they built it and they went.

the black/bitter stuff is creosote, you could try let some of the heavy smoke out first or cover the meat with foil till the smoke clears a bit, for a milder flavor use apple wood instead of hickory.

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuehelp/f/f062904a.htm

That's the whole idea of smoking, low and slow.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Gotta a gree with hvacpope. I've been smoking meat for years and sometimes i'll burn the blackness out before i put in the meat. I usually get a cord of applewood from the orchard and soak it in a water/spice/scotch mixture. I keep the meat about 250* and let 'er haul a$$ for hours.

Remember: Low and slow (that is the tempo)

Lower temp, long time. And in my opinion use a good charcoal for heat and the logs/chunks of wood for flavor. If you burn over a total wood fire, try using more white oak than any flavorwood (hickory, apple, maple..etc). The oak will burn warm without giving it a woody taste.

Also, may want to learn about brining or salting your meat before smoking. It adds a ton of flavor and juice punch to your meal!

ALWAYS TRUST A FAT GUY WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD!
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

If you can get it natural wood charcoal is the best. It burns a little warmer so it does not take much to get things going.

My smoking method is primitive. I use an old Brinkmann charcoal grill and my fire box is in the grill off to the side. It is an old Char-Broil metal box with U shaped cast iron grates. I start a natural wood charcoal fire in it and feed soaked hickory and apple wood. I keep the tempurture around 250 degrees.

When I smoke pork ribs I first rub them with a spice mixture called Cavenders Greek Seasoning. Then I cover them with Woody's Cookin Sauce or Woody's Sweat and Sour sauce. Cavenders is made in Harrison, AR and Woody's used to be made in New Orleans until Katrina took them out. They reopened, much to my relief, in Las Vegas. Once I prepare them I smoke them until they are done. I have never dissapointed anyone.

I am a fat man, but not nearly as fat as I used to be. I guess my advice is still valid. When I get to my normal weight this advice will no longer be good. :>)
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    I am a fat man, but not nearly as fat as I used to be. I guess my advice is still valid. When I get to my normal weight this advice will no longer be good. :>)
    LOL! I'm droppping weight too but i will always be a fat man at heart. It takes a fat guy to have a taste for good food. And i concur about the natural wood charcoal, not only is it easy to start, but it burns nice and warm. Plus it gives that satisfying crackle you want when cooking.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Whale4 View Post
    Heres mine. It started life as a dented expansion tank and home depot trailer with a bent frame.
    Smokers need lots of wood, thats why somany of them get converted to gas.

Nice custom smoker Whale....
    here's one I made out of an old air compressor tank and LP tank. With a Korean war tank shell container as a stack. It's the reverse circulation style and man I can smoke some mean ass meaqt in that thing , just ask my family

I love to smoke and am going to do 2 turkeys tomorrow.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12