Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoker Help!

Hybrid View

Smoker Help!

Got a new bransfed smoker given to me , IT is the style that has the firebox on right and the upright smoker box, Having problems getting the heat up above 250 even with the flue and vent door open 100%, got it loaded with some 2/3 yr old hickory but it doesnt seem to wanna bake the chickens in thing, Need your help as there are alot of fellow tech's that cook.
    How much to open the vent and the flue, is flue for smoke , and vent for heat? , Thanks
    If you build it they will come,,,they built it and they went.

Quote Originally Posted by fgp6889 View Post
    Got a new bransfed smoker given to me , IT is the style that has the firebox on right and the upright smoker box, Having problems getting the heat up above 250 even with the flue and vent door open 100%, got it loaded with some 2/3 yr old hickory but it doesnt seem to wanna bake the chickens in thing, Need your help as there are alot of fellow tech's that cook.
    How much to open the vent and the flue, is flue for smoke , and vent for heat? , Thanks
    My first experience with a smoker is the propane brinkman smokers that the kids gave me this year. It works great. It has 2 pans. The bottom one gets the chips and the top one gets the water. After I figured that one out I had great results.

Did you put a water pan in? Sometimes you can put too much water in, and that really holds the temp down.

YA I had a small pan of water in it, but apon more looking seemed that I didnt have enough burnable wood in it, I added a few pieces of wood and it caught up, closed the vent to about 2/3rds closed and was able to hold about 300 deg. with the top 100% open to not oversmoke the meat, Was wondering about the differance of the top and flue doors, is top for smoke flavor and bottom heat?
    Also believe that I should use charcoal along with wood to keep the heat and add wood only for smoke? What y'all think

YA I had a small pan of water in it, but apon more looking seemed that I didnt have enough burnable wood in it, I added a few pieces of wood and it caught up, closed the vent to about 2/3rds closed and was able to hold about 300 deg. with the top 100% open to not oversmoke the meat, Was wondering about the differance of the top and flue doors, is top for smoke flavor and bottom heat?
    Also believe that I should use charcoal along with wood to keep the heat and add wood only for smoke? What y'all think
    How big is the fire box? Before I went propane I had a charcoal smoker. And yes, in that one you only added wood for the smoke. You could never get enough wood in the little space that was intended for charcoal, to do your cooking.

Did you try downloading the instructions for your smoker.

How many pieces of wood do you have in there? do you have a bed of coals? is there a damper between firebox and cook chamber? is the draw 100% open?
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

re

Firebox is roughly 18 widex 24 long x 16 deep, it does not have a damper betewwn firebox , and I did have a bed of coals in the bottom, really nice if I say so, as far as amount in there, am going to have to seal the lid on the fb to keep leakage out, and going to mod a diverter to go from entry to middle of smoker box as to prevent heat from raising directly on the right side of the box, still wondering this " is the damper on the firebox for heat control, and stack damper to keep smoke in, IF I burn door on fire open it will get to hot so should I close the draft door to smother flame and also or not close the stack vent?"

Always leave your stack vent open and adjust heat with your draw. And come on your a southern guy whose asking a bunch of yanks about smoking.....just busting your stones
    Jerry Garcia

You always want your vent stack damper fully opened.

LOL

Southern by location,,, but bred and born in MI, Thanks for the damper answers, Going to try again this weekend, Going to use kingsford as my heat source and hickory chunks "slowly" added for smoke, going to try a small butt, Wish me luck,
    MAde some The other day , the dogs liked it for awhile, but then quit eating it, so I guess you could say my that was so bad my dog wouldn't even eat it.

Good Info

Forgot this earlier, A good source of wealth and info.
    http://www.smoking-meat.com/

250F is perfect for smoking above that is called grilling.

Your looking for a nice blue grey smoke rolling out the chimney not a billowing cloud. Put the butt on the counter while you start your fire to let it warm a little this helps with the bark. Give it a good rub down with whatever your using for rub. For shoulders/butts I smoke until internal temp hits 170 than wrap in foil till 195* than pull it off the smoker and put in a small cooler with a clean dish towel on top to absorb some of the moisture after it rests for about 30-45 min throw some rubber gloves on and shred it. A side of slaw, hush puppies, a cold beer and plenty of vinegar sauce I think you'll be alright
    Jerry Garcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast