Thread: SO2 systems

HI THERE, I'M NEW TO THIS DISCUSSION BOARD, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THERE IS AN ABUNDENCE OF KNOWLEDGE HERE.

I AM A REFRIGERATION TECH, TURNED REFRIGERATION WHOLESALER.
    I WORK ON ANTIQUE FRIDGES AS A HOBBY AND HAVE A RETROFIT QUESTION.

WHAT IS REQUIRED TO CHANGE AN OLD FRIGIDIARE OPEN-DRIVE FROM SO2 TO R12/?.

I HAVE HAD SOME LOVELY EXPERIENCES DISCHARGING SO2 (HA,HA) IN THE PAST, AND HAVE A GOOD SYSTEM IN PLACE FOR THAT NOW.
    I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE SHOULD BE AJUSTED ie FLOAT.

I HAVE DONE QUITE A BIT OF OLD FRIDGE REPAIR SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS, JUST ASK.

GORD
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Coolclassics.........

Welcome to the site fellow frigie.

First, as a matter of housekeeping please turn off the caplocks.....it's like shouting on line and my ears hurt.

The SO2 really caught my eye. I remember my father converting an old Frigidaire 2-door reach-in from sulfur to R12 back in the late fifties. I was really too young to understand what was what at the time but later discussions brought out the changeover was really quite easy. He dumped the SO2 through a 1/4" line to the outdoors, installed a filter-drier, purged and charged. (Vacuum pumps weren't a big deal with the old belt drives)

The low-side floats always were a PIA and would tend to stick at times as I recall. I suppose if you're real enterprising, you could try to tear it apart, clean and rebuild it. Don't expect to get any parts or gaskets for it. I don't think they would require any adjustment though.

I would change the shaft seal and the oil in the compressor, install a filter and go with it.

Best of luck.

LOL!!! The last person to ask me what to do about getting an R-764 (SO2) system working again was about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I suggested. Maybe using dynamite... As I recall, R-764 is a low pressure refrigerant... I'll have to look at some of the Sporlan archives... Sporlan manufactured R-764 TEVs in the 1930s and 1940s. With some imagination, one probably can get an old unit like this to work.

OFF TOPIC

Hey, you guys jinxed me the other night. Talk about a blast from the past.

I went to a reachin down, and found the fan blade and evap filthy. Dropped the fan plenum, and staring right at me was a Detroit Lubricator TXV.

Forunately, it was just sitting there metering gas like it had since World War II.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Re: OFF TOPIC

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Hey, you guys jinxed me the other night. Talk about a blast from the past.

I went to a reachin down, and found the fan blade and evap filthy. Dropped the fan plenum, and staring right at me was a Detroit Lubricator TXV.
    Was it a 673? Detroit ruled the TEV world in their day. We still rate TEVs based on an article their chief engineer... what's his name?... published in one of the early refrigeration mags.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Forunately, it was just sitting there metering gas like it had since World War II.
    They built them to last

I have a 1944 Audels refrigeration manual and it says that So2 needs 1/3 more vapor to accomplish the same refrigerating effect as Freon (R-12) and suggests speeding up the compressor to accommodate So2. I would assume that you could slow the compressor down for R-12.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

A neighbor of mine worked for Frigidair as an engineer for many many years out of Dayton. His Dad was also an engineer for them. His Dad made the first self contained frige! I got pictures of the production model. It sits at this guys house in Texas.

It's a square top frige with an evap looking just like the GE monitor tops models, only it sits on the left side of the interior.

Also, I found an old Monitor top at an old school house built 100 years ago, (the school house). It dont work, they say.

I want to convert it.