+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When gravity was king

Post Likes
    There is still a few around. You know your getting old when you've seen your share. I'm sure there a few that have never seen some gravity systems like these. I have to bid a replacement for the hot air system. The dual gravity boiler system I bid on during the summer, never heard back. Rental property.

Post Likes
    break out the Doan's (back pill)
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    I remember the old Arco boilers and Holland furnaces. So does my poor spine. I also remember the taste and especially the smell of the soot that came out of the old firebox when we were junking it.

[Edited by tin_fab on 12-22-2004 at 04:32 PM]

Post Likes
    It has been awhile since I've seen any so nice and clean!

Maybe that is why you never heard back.

Post Likes
    See gravity boilers ALOT... Darn things NEVER leak...

Post Likes
    I had to look real close at those boiler pictures to see if it was one I took. Friend of mine rented a double in St. Paul for a store. Down the cellar were 2 snowmen just like that only had oil burners in them. He moved, the oil bill was steep!

Post Likes
    At least they knew how to make HX in them days.
    I did lots of those, is that asbestos on there?
    Go make a midnight dumpster run.......
    Have fun.

Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jonm
    I'm sure there a few that have never seen some gravity systems like these.
    Cant say Ive ever seen one of those, I also haven't seen the north side of the Mason-Dixon line either, that might explain it

Post Likes
    is that asbestos on there?
    I would say that is definately asbestos painted silver on those Arcos. I am safe from asbestos disease, as all that I ingested years back is now permanantly covered up by the fiberglass.

I remember like it was yesterday...cut the drawrods, spilt the sections and use an appliance dolly up out of the basement

[Edited by tin_fab on 12-22-2004 at 06:36 PM]

Post Likes
    So....somebody explain to me how these things work, where does gravity come into play?

Post Likes
    Warmer water (or air) is lighter, it rises in the pipes (or ducts) and it's volume is replaced in the vessel (or HX) by gravity. Note the size of the pipes and ducts returning to the bottom of each unit.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swampfox
    So....somebody explain to me how these things work, where does gravity come into play?
    Basic law of physics...heat rises..hot water rises up the pipes ..gives off its heat, cooled water returns to boiler...heated..up it goes. This description is a "closed system" I have seen a couple of "open systems" The expansion tank in the attic with open drain to the roof. Same principle except you had to add water occasionally... you had to "know your system." I just pulled an "Ideal #7" 5 section replaced it with a Columbia 4125 with bypass piping. It works fine ..nice slow even heat. Nothing high tech just a reasonably priced system that will last a long time.

Post Likes
    Yea asbestos at both loacals. The boilers are coated withit, the old coal stoker has the 3/8 panels nailed to ceiling in the whole furnace room. The landlord is having problems renting the store where it is located because of excessive gas bills. ya think

Post Likes
    Yea asbestos at both loacals. The boilers are coated withit, the old coal stoker has the 3/8 panels nailed to ceiling in the whole furnace room. The landlord is having problems renting the store where it is located because of excessive gas bills. ya think.

Post Likes
    These units doubled as stills.....made 2 gallons of 80 proof white lightning per day
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    The furnaces have no forced air fan...relies on hot air rising and cold air falling into the return. Once it gets going ...natural draft air circulation.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ozone drone
    The furnaces have no forced air fan...relies on hot air rising and cold air falling into the return. Once it gets going ...natural draft air circulation.
    Yep. That's why the ducts for the furnaces and the piping for the return are so huge.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Look at the base of the twin boilers. They were onec coal powered! Right now with a gas conversion burner in there I would guess that 50% or more of the heat is going right up the chimney.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Had a gravity wood furnace, changed it out w/ oil
    forced air. Shoulda seen what happened when the
    blower came on.

Post Likes
    The older homes here also have ventilation ducts.There is a register in each room & you start a small fire in the main chimney to produce draft in the home viola stoneage air conditioning!lol
    Take your time & do it right!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in