Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Since this sounds like it's the reality of the matter (high-end purge), can any of you JCI people explain why anyone would continue to use you? I'd be willing to bet that the billing rate didn't drop. Let's see, get a newbie that will take 4x as long to do the same job, and continue to pay the HIGH billing rate, just how stupid does JCI think customers/people are???

The changes at JCI did not affect the service side, or service rates. The changes were only to the installation side. The changes in personnel, at least in my area, involved people who couldn't or wouldn't perform all of the technical tasks involved in completing a complex project, ie., managing, engineering, design, etc. These people were also at the top of the salary scale.

The people who are still here are basically the same people who have been doing the bulk of the technical and complex stuff anyway.

Johnson cut 10 or so across Ohio the week before Christmas.
    Some of the better control men in the state.
    Big Blue must need to hire some more managers.

M-Man,
    You hit the nail on the head and yes they do think that their customers are that ignorant. I've been on both sides of the equation. They'll do whatever it takes to keep the shareholders happy. It's amazing, when I was on the customer side after working for JCI for five years, my new employer was set up with hi end Fluke test equipment,$2.5K meters, the stuff I only dreamed of having at JCI. I was once lucky enough to be granted an extra pocket thermometer, when my old one fell three stories down a duct shaft, but they told me that they wouldn't spend the extra money on a digital one. And yes, I still keep in touch with the people who are still there, almost because they can't leave because of that nice 401K/Stock package they have with the company. Are you still with JCI, M-Man?, what part of the USA are you from, I right here in NJ. Take Care, Man

NJ chrisc: I'm former JCI, former customer, now doing my own thing.

I worked for the Union Branch in NJ, now work for an ABCS. Were you with the branch North or South of Union? Good Luck on your own!!

Wink

I work for a JCI ABCS and the story I heard was 500 JCI branch employees got booted across the country. Also the people who were allowed to keep their positions had to agree to a 20% pay cut.

Originally posted by jcieng
    I work for a JCI ABCS and the story I heard was 500 JCI branch employees got booted across the country. Also the people who were allowed to keep their positions had to agree to a 20% pay cut.
    I don't know if the 500 employee figure is true or not, it may be. But those who stayed did not necessarily get a pay cut. There were significant changes in each individuals job description, but pay (at least in my branch) was not decreased. Maybe due to the fact that our branch is very successful.

Some people have negative feelings about JCI for whatever reason. Maybe they worked here at one time and they were not the controls dynamo they said or thought they were. Maybe their boss was a jerk and their feelings are justified. I have had many jobs and never had an employer as good as JCI. I am given anything I need to get the job done. Laptop, Palm Pilot, very nice meters, any hand tools I may need. Paid training, airfare to training, all costs covered.

Say what you want about JCI, they are definitely a great employer. Those who left, while unfortunate, are not missed professionally.

I don't believe the pay cut rumor, that's like JCI saying, lick our feet and we'll let you stay on board. I'll tell you one thing, every JCI training class I ever went to was top knotch. MX, I'm sure you know Scott S. from the Harrisburg office, he's top knotch, when he went into sales, JCI lost an excellent instructor but I'm sure gained a very successful sales engineer. The Central PA. area has always been top a producer, Good Luck. How long have you been with the company, MX?

I am a former JCL customer & user/seller of some of their products. I also formerly worked as a Operating Engineer for one of the largest property managers in Canada. One of the difficulties in any large corporation is weeding out the deadwood--those that are there for the ride & not for the work. This is always a difficult task and unfortunately not always an equitable one--sometimes "the axe" falls on the wrong people. Maybe JCL has been losing money lately & is forced to cut back?? Maybe there are some new bean counters that don't know how to manage people?? Without being on the inside, it is difficult to assess. Generally, in my opinion, it is not a good idea for any corporation to be too internally glued to the stock market simply because poor long-term choices can be made based on short-term stock fluctuations (this may be one reason to avoid hefty stock options for CEOs!!).

Originally posted by mxriderpa
    Originally posted by jcieng
    I don't know if the 500 employee figure is true or not, it may be. But those who stayed did not necessarily get a pay cut. There were significant changes in each individuals job description, but pay (at least in my branch) was not decreased. Maybe due to the fact that our branch is very successful.

Some people have negative feelings about JCI for whatever reason. Maybe they worked here at one time and they were not the controls dynamo they said or thought they were. Maybe their boss was a jerk and their feelings are justified. I have had many jobs and never had an employer as good as JCI. I am given anything I need to get the job done. Laptop, Palm Pilot, very nice meters, any hand tools I may need. Paid training, airfare to training, all costs covered.

Say what you want about JCI, they are definitely a great employer. Those who left, while unfortunate, are not missed professionally.

Well take all the training you can get.
    That is the one true benefit you'll take with you when you leave JCI.
    After 10 years of service with big blue I was invited to the office for a meeting with my STS and told to wait in conference room. When I walked in their were two nice people from Milwaukee (not even from our office) telling me that the company was going through reorganization and my position was terminated. No thank you for job well done, just "we're sorry".
    It seemed funny at the time..the company had spent 10's of thousands of dollars on my education. Networking, Cal,DDL,HVACPRO,GPL,JCBASIC,SCT. Why would they throw away people that take so many years to train?
    Fortunately in my case finding a new job was not a problem. When you can repair..and are licensed work comes easy. But dont misunderstand..in a corporation especially as large a big blue do not confuse ability to program repair and make your customers happy with job security. Its about management decisions ....good or bad.
    As for myself I now work in a stress free enviroment am able, thanks to their training look at DDC with a smile on my face when I walk on a new job. ps also with a 30% increase in pay hehe.

Originally posted by mxriderpa

Say what you want about JCI, they are definitely a great employer. Those who left, while unfortunate, are not missed professionally. [/B]
    I don’t have any facts about +- 500 casualties, but the 20% reduction in pay for the dedicated survivor(s) is a fact. You are correct that “service” did not take a cut in pay, just top techs.

My branch is very profitable, and we lost valuable professional people that gave 110%. You may not miss the dedicated employees that gave many hours to JCI for free, but the customer will. Don’t let the shiny tools blind you.

I'm still with JCI service… just so you know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast