Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Has anyone heard anything about a huge 'purge' of high-end technical personnel at JCI? I'm hearing rumors, but have not seen anything official. I did see a few months ago that they were hiring entry level techs thoughout the country.

I was an SAE III an was let go at the end of November. There were a few others at the local branch. PMs, an application engineer, other SAEs. I never saw it comming. I never saw anything official, but heard around 500 nationwide.

I heard Johnson was going to let the Techs do the project management also, thus eliminating the current pm's

I had two tours of duty with JCI between 1994-2003, it's the same story every time. They look for every angle to increase profit, give the customer less for their money and give their employees even less for their time. There is no so called "pay scale" at JCI, a friend of mine had 5 years experience on the mechanical side, he came in one year ago at 28K. They gave him the responsibility of a 90 school district, four days a week, with occasional assistance from a senior tech. He just recieved a 2% raise for all his effort, that doesn't even cover cost of living increase. I left JCI last year and it's been a year with my new company, just got a 7% raise, couldn't be happier and I'm still working on the best controls in the industry(Metasys). JCI has a great product but I wouldn't want to work for them, AGAIN!!

Thumbs up

Amen... my brother!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chrisc
    [B](Metasys). JCI has a great product......

Even "M 5" ????

M5

I set one up for first time this past year and other than the security server it went smooth. had a small learning curve but would do another job.

Allen

Lack of knowledge on the M5 software is what can make a job not go as smoothly as intended. I'm not a guru when it comes to M5, but I can tell you when certain software revisions don't match, problems will arise. That's 90% of the battle, the manuals and CD's don't give you 100% of the info that you need to complete projects and upgrades. Certain glitches arise, not knowing that there are fix patches on the JCI bulletin board, many times we don't locate these fixes until six months of headaches go by dealing with intermintent problems. I guess if these problems weren't out there, customers would be able to operate and maintain there own systems and we'd be out of a job, that's what makes it an extremely challenging part of the industry. Regardless of whose system you deal with on a day to day basis, the never ending problems are always going to be there and we get paid to resolve them.

say it isn't so...please!

I work for Siemens & every couple of years our mngmnt. will hire someone from JCI who is going to save us all. As soon as they arrive they point out all the reasons why our business isn't growing like it should, bring over a couple of automation & mechanical people, promise they are going to bring some real good accounts, etc. etc. Of course we soon realize that the majority of the wonderfully talanted help isn't interested in adapting, they only want to go down memory lane & talk about the good old days @ Johnson. And those real good accounts either slow pay or don't spend any money. I've survived 5 of these rescues from JCI, I started when it was L&G, went through the L&S period & was there the day they announced we were Siemens. Now in all fairness, we did get one automation tech. out of the deal or deals, & he is truly top notch. The rest of them combined weren't equal to this one tech. & don't get me started on the mechanics. I can't wait for the next rescue, which if what you guys are saying is true, looks like help is on the way.
    All my leon freaked out!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andserco
    [B]
    Originally posted by chrisc
    (Metasys). JCI has a great product......

Even "M 5" ????
    We have the M5 software on one network, and just straight PMI on the others. I prefer PMI over M5. The graphics are pretty and I am sure that is what JCI was shooting for. However, I don't think that M5 is that user friendly, and I think I get more information on older system.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

I also prefer PMI over M5, probably because I was exposed to it exclusively for 10 years. The PMI graphics though are not as pretty as the M5. They say that the NAE is top notch, but I haven't been exposed to it yet, we'll see!

Originally posted by metasysman
    Has anyone heard anything about a huge 'purge' of high-end technical personnel at JCI? I'm hearing rumors, but have not seen anything official. I did see a few months ago that they were hiring entry level techs thoughout the country.
    Haven't heard anything, but wouldn't be surprised.

Years ago when I worked for a phone company as an in-house facilities guy we used JCI under contract to service many of our remote switch houses. They were doing a pretty good job but then things took a dump. This was in the early 90's.

Finally I ran into a senior JCI tech I knew, and I asked the obvious questions. He told me the corp had dumped a BUNCH of senior techs, and hired a bunch of newbies in their place.

Reason? Newbies were cheaper.

They'd kept a few senior techs. He was one such. Net result was he was running his tail off running around and answering the calls from the newbies for help. And simply could not keep up. Thus, a lot of mistakes were being made that had not been made before.

I ran across him again a few months later. At which time he was now an ex-JCI guy. He'd gotten fed up and found a new home with an independent, private contractor.

Well...I am one of the "newbies" at JCI that everyone is refering to.

I am making a career change and was on the negative end of a "restructuring" a few years back, in my previous career, so I know what that is like.

So...let me have it. Positive and negative.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast