TXV and Interal/External Equalizer

I get how the bulb controls the valve and I understand the equalizer tube measures or you can say senses the evaporator pressure. But how does the spring at the bottom come into play?

I'm a student and just starting to learn this stuff so go easy!

1-Remote bulb pressure
    2-Evaporator pressure
    3-Superheat spring equivalent pressure???
    When they say "Superheat spring pressure" is this set at the warehouse and then adjusted in the field based on the techs reading? (This is what I'm assuming) Also, If I'm wrong on the equilizer tube please say so.

Thanks

yeah sounds like you got it. without the spring the thing would go for 0 superheat.
    the sprng biases the diahramn to close the valve for supeheat.

Hmm, I've been out of trade school for awhile and so I know there's some things I've forgotten, but I always thought the equalizer tube was to equalize the system pressure after shut down. The reason I always thought it had the tube to equalize (or balance the system) was so that when the compressor starts up it's not trying to do so against a high head pressure; causing it to have trouble starting amongst other things. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the term "equalizer tube" here because the tube the OP talks about sounds like the one that attaches to the bulb itself, and the one I'm describing is not that. However, the one I described (as far as I know) is called the "equalizer tube."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AP KING View Post
    Hmm, I've been out of trade school for awhile and so I know there's some things I've forgotten, but I always thought the equalizer tube was to equalize the system pressure after shut down. The reason I always thought it had the tube to equalize (or balance the system) was so that when the compressor starts up it's not trying to do so against a high head pressure; causing it to have trouble starting amongst other things. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the term "equalizer tube" here because the tube the OP talks about sounds like the one that attaches to the bulb itself, and the one I'm describing is not that. However, the one I described (as far as I know) is called the "equalizer tube."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Your wrong. The external equalizer is a force that closes the valve as evaporator pressure increases.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

The equalizer line. Has been named a misleading name. Many people/techs think it equalizes the pressures after shut off. As stated above. It doesn't.

It is a more accurate way to determine evap coil pressure, then using an internal(equalizer/sensing ability).

Balanced port/hard shut off TXVs have external equalizers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Maybe this will clear it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks! I've got a feeling there's going to be a pop quiz Tue. nobody in the class new the answer and he seemed a little disappointed. But I've done my home work and I'm lock and loaded with a answer.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Maybe this will clear it up.
    Very good information, I'm always game for good info.. thanks for that. It seems the bleed port is what I was refering to, but I still had it wrong because it's not an actual copper tube that taps back into the suction line. I was definately picturing the equalizer line, but had it's function wrong. Thanks again for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by WFL-TX View Post
    I get how the bulb controls the valve and I understand the equalizer tube measures or you can say senses the evaporator pressure. But how does the spring at the bottom come into play?

I'm a student and just starting to learn this stuff so go easy!

1-Remote bulb pressure
    2-Evaporator pressure
    3-Superheat spring equivalent pressure???
    When they say "Superheat spring pressure" is this set at the warehouse and then adjusted in the field based on the techs reading? (This is what I'm assuming) Also, If I'm wrong on the equilizer tube please say so.

Thanks
    Something to remember.

TXVs are NOT preset to any real setting.

The stem is wound a given number or turns, normally to midpoint, and called good.

For proper operation, it MUST MUST MUST be set in the field.

Installing a valve and not adjusting it is only doing half of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by WFL-TX View Post
    Thanks! I've got a feeling there's going to be a pop quiz Tue. nobody in the class new the answer and he seemed a little disappointed. But I've done my home work and I'm lock and loaded with a answer.
    Very good information, I'm always game for good info.. thanks for that. It seems the bleed port is what I was refering to, but I still had it wrong because it's not an actual copper tube that taps back into the suction line. I was definately picturing the equalizer line, but had it's function wrong. Thanks again for clearing that up.
    That’s what were here for.

WFL-TX

You can never have too much information.

AP

Keep Reading

And listen to JP
    Attached Images Attached Images

the equalizer line EXTERNAL is actually a copper line that you have to install

it compensates for the pressure drop across the coil!

if you tap into the suction line upstream of the sensing bulb location???

and the exv bleeds by??

the sensing bulb will get a false reading!!!!!!!!!!1

always tap in/install external equalizer down stream of the sensing bulb!!!!!1

I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!