I have a limited knowledge of computers and their behavior. However, for the past few weeks navigating this site has become agonizingly slow for me. I pay $$$ for cable internet access and I feel like I'm using dial-up from 1994. Please tell me it's just me!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

The pages load slow for me. Every time we ask for a specific thread or even the list of threads, I bet the server software has to generate the page based upon your preferences. As the number of forums grows and the posts within those forums grows, it probably will get slower until some point where the site moves or gets upgraded at it's present location. I spend 2 to 3 hours per night reading through old pages trying to find useful info. I will stay with it slow or not.

Hey Texan,

What are you finding?

I do this for threads in progess. I search old threads and sometimes post an old thread inside a current one. Just to share something that was already discussed.

Then I copy/ paste the link to an e-mail I send to myself with a short title in the subject line.

So whenever I want something I have to call back up, I simply go to my inbox and insert it into the current thread.
    Violla!

Want to share threads?

Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    I have a limited knowledge of computers and their behavior. However, for the past few weeks navigating this site has become agonizingly slow for me. I pay $$$ for cable internet access and I feel like I'm using dial-up from 1994. Please tell me it's just me!
    It's probably the signal noise on your cable rig.
    You need to phone tech support and ask them to look into this.
    We had the very same issue. They sent a guy out today and he discovered we have "line noise" in our cable. He installed a gizmo and the noise went away, the speed picked back up and we are now happy campers!

6db choke is what the guy installed.

I find lots of things among the various threads. Some so technical they will have to be revisited later when higher on the learning curve. Few nights back I did all the sample questions and as I answered, I found I was able to answer some because of what I had already read. Mostly I look for threads to new guys and try to focus on heat pumps mostly as that is a real deficit for me. In the past 2 weeks I have found the whole site wonderful, tho intimidating to post to. Actually I wish there was a "newbie" forum. I bet there are tons of people with basic questions not asking them. I know I am.

On a personal note; I have had my eye on you R12 since the first time I read your signature. He is risen indeed.

Thanks R12. I'm willing to bet something is up with the cable. Last year after the storm took down my line, service got extremely slow. Turns out when they replaced my line at the pole they split the signal with my neighbor. Taking me off the splitter made a huge difference. I think it's time to ring up Comcast again.

Ask all the questions you can texan. Everyone on here loves to answer questions. Of course, you have to overlook the ego's from time to time. But hey, thats what makes this place so colorful. There is a wealth of knowledge to be learned from everyone who hangs out here. Welcome aboard!

Originally posted by texan30
    In the past 2 weeks I have found the whole site wonderful, tho intimidating to post to. Actually I wish there was a "newbie" forum. I bet there are tons of people with basic questions not asking them. I know I am.

On a personal note; I have had my eye on you R12 since the first time I read your signature. He is risen indeed.
    AMEN, He is risen indeed!!! Welcome Brother.

I know most guys here lurk and refrain from posting due to the grouchy regulars.
    It is hard to overcome that aspect of this site.

It is the same in real life though. A new guy has questions and the old guys dont want to give away their edge, so they keep their mouth shut.

The real truth of why the old guys dont speak up and share with the new guys is the fact that it is so much easier to work alone and not have to explain to someone else why you are doing what you are doing. And how it effects the system. And what the options are. Etc., etc.

A good service tech does not necessarily make a good instrctuor. And a good instructor does not mean that person is capable of becomeing a Mentor to a new student in the field.

I would rather Mentor than anything else.

So guys with years of experience are often times ashamed when they learn they are not good at passing along information to others in the field, OJT style.

When ya open yer trap online here like I do every day ... you have to be prepared for three things.

1) to be asked additional questions as to how you arrived at that answer.

2) to be told you are wrong.

3) to be laughed at because you choose to adhere to a certain practice that someone else finds useless.

When I am questioned, I learn to affirm what I believe and I have to prove where I got my info from.
    It sharpens me. I become smarter when I am challenged.

When someone says I am wrong, I learn from my mistakes. And it benefits more than just me. It benefits everyone here on this forum.

Life is too short to not practice a healthy sence of humor.
    So many people feel threatened just based on what someone else says about them online.

I consider the source. If they are reliable, I take it and think of what they said.
    If they are schmucks, I leave it go.

A considerate person will speak in a respectful manner.