Thread: Trane/Tempstar/Maytag comparison

Post Likes
    Before moving into my recently purchased home (1040sq ft), I need to replace the gas furnace (broken heat exchanger). Two quotes so far recommend the following brands/model:
    1) Trane XR/XL80
    2) Tempstar (low price tag) - Maytag (high price tag)
    Tomorrow, I will get another quote from a company which carries Trane and Rheem.

How do these brands stack up? Which ones are the RollsRoyces, the Toyotas or Chevys and which are the Kias? Which other brands should I look into? I am looking for good price/quality (arent' we all?).

Jan,
    San Jose, CA

Post Likes
    Everyone has their own opinion of which furnace is best. Trane is certainly very popular. I've lost respect for them lately due to the troublesome White-Rodgers ignition control. That control is found in other brands too. Tempstar has the Honeywell SmartValve which hasn't had a real good past either though most of the bugs seem to be out of it. No Nordyne stuff around here so I can't tell you from experience about Maytag. Lately Rheem seems to have one of the better furnace lines so dealers being equal, and that is probably the biggest factor in the situation, I'd prefer a Rheem these days.

my advice page: http://www.johnmills.net/work/advice.html

Post Likes
    Trane = Cadillac or 4x4 F550 with power windows
    Tempstar has a smart valve YIPE ... or a chevette
    Maytag is Nordyne... shore is purty wif dem stainless steel doors but its still a station wagon with air

Post Likes

Rheem

In our area, not fun finding parts, will sell to anyone, incompetent boobs behind the counter, jam packed components, o/d coils rot out at an exceptional rate in our coastal areas and I/D coils have a high leak history. Other than that, they're cherry.
    Trane ain't perfect but I haven't seen the White Rogers problems on Trane or other equipment that BL sees. And I never like W-R too much. The fail proof ignitors and odd ball V/S modules have been a pain lately.
    Tempstar-too many rotted out heat exchangers and filter driers for me to have much to like about them.
    Maytag is the Nodyne unit with S.S. to match your kitchen. May have exclusivity problems, don't now. Have had mountains of problems with the few Nordyne furnaces sold around here, some under the Solitaire brand name.
    So now you know-I hate everything.

Post Likes
    go with trane seen alot of problems with the others

Post Likes
    I imagine they have made a decision by now, these threads your replying to are 2+ years old, you realize that dont you?

Post Likes
    I know Tempstar gets a bad rap for those smart valves & I have replaced a ton of em. But I think they got those problems fixed. I havent sold one in a while but I dont think the smart valves power the inducer motors anymore, which seemed to be the major problem. If the savings is significant, I would go with a Tempstar.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Far as I can tell, Dumb Valves are gone with ICP and about everything, Armstrong, Texas Furnace...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swampfox
    I imagine they have made a decision by now, these threads your replying to are 2+ years old, you realize that dont you?

Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    TRANE=cadillac that is SO funny

Post Likes
    maytag is a generic air conditioner just like fridgide air and tempstar, arcoair and more than likely carrier produces most of them. nordyne products are not as good as trane, tempstar either. trane will last longer and is a better unit in my opinion. i would either spend the money to get the better system or just call someone up and get a goodman.
    either do it right or save your money.
    carrier has the technology, trane has really good equipment,
    lennox has crappy and long counter waits. the rest is generic.

Post Likes
    You guys are missing the point...

Until said equipment is properly sized, installed and set-up to operate with-in manufactures specifications... it's all crap, just with a different logo on the front.

Anyone that says otherwise, doesn't understand what it takes to make something last!

Post Likes
    No J, I would say its all good (some better) until a hack botches it and kills it... I know thats what you meant.

Post Likes
    jultzya: you are correct, if the installation is not correct any and all systems will fail and have troubles.
    and believe it or not most installs are not, we find most system have short or small returns, then overcharged to compensate,joints of furnaces, plenums,coils and filter boxes not sealed properly, etc..,
    but i still would choose trane over theses other systems.
    im a carrier dealer and have worked on all these systems, i have no worked on or seen a maytag.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in