Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I see up north a lot of people use #2 fuel oil for heating. Why? In south texas we use propane, natural gas (methane) or just plain electricty. I have never seen that type of system used except on a ship or a public utility system. No basements here. I saw those radiators in the apartments on "I love Lucy" and "The Three Stooges" when I was young.

Why do people live in Texas? I watch old Westerns and see nothing but sagebrush blowing around. I don't get it.......

Oilman I fell out of my chair on that one. But really, could someone enlighten our Texas buddy on the reasons fuel oil is used. I am from Texas also, but lived in Pa for awhile and worked on fuel oil equipment. I asked the same questions but never got an answer. I have my opinions on it, the reasons as to why oil is used.
    Saddle Up!

Oil is just cheaper than propane in the north. Also not a lot of natural gas mains unless you are in a city. Most New England homes are rural so they need a "portable" fuel, fuel oil fits this niche quite nicely. Electricity really isn't practical in the north, too cold for heatpumps to work efficiently, plus is Maine where I'm at the electric rates are pretty high, at least to heat with.

One gallon of oil will yeild about 140,000 Btuh. One gallon of propane will yeild about 92,000 Btuh. Dollar wise they are about the same per gallon.

But the big sell here is that oil equipment that is brand new out of the box will burn at 82% efficent. Propane can burn at 92% efficent. Oil efficency drops off during the season. Gas equipment burns clean so the efficency doesn't drop off.

Oil equipment is more expensive than gas. Oil needs a masonry or metalbestos flue. Gas uses PVC.

Central Vermont Public Service will not even connect you to their system if you are using electric for heating.(new installations.)We have converted homes built in the 60-70's over to gas furnaces that once were built with electric.

Lower end homes install baseboard radiation. No more radiators.

Only upper end homes install central air conditioning equipment when they are built. A lot of them use hydro-air system now a days. That means they have a oil boiler in the basement but the air handlers have both a hot water coil and a DX air conditioning coils. The domestic hot water will come off the boiler as well.

Good answers. I have seen a condensing oil furnace before. It was when I was working in Harrisburg Pa. Man that thing sooted up bad and it was a night call out around 9:15 to 9:45pm. I forget the name of the furnace though.
    Saddle Up!

Smile

You guy's went over my head, Quick.

Originally posted by -80guru
    Good answers. I have seen a condensing oil furnace before. It was when I was working in Harrisburg Pa. Man that thing sooted up bad and it was a night call out around 9:15 to 9:45pm. I forget the name of the furnace though.
    Yukon ! I'll bet. That was a real bow-wow. The same company also made a combination oil/wood furnace.

Originally posted by -80guru
    That's GOOD News????

I could die a happy man if I never saw another piece of **** condensing oil furnace. There is NOT ONE single decent condensing oil unit available today. It doesn't matter WHO makes it, you don't want it.

There are a LOT of oil fired boilers that can run 87% and not condense in the flue, some that come to mind and are popular around here are the EFMs, and New Yorker Steel boilers. The EFMs, attached to a good chimney, can run at 88% and not condense.

I dislike oil fired warm air equipment, personally, but prefer oil for boilers.

"One gallon of oil will yeild about 140,000 Btuh. One gallon of propane will yeild about 92,000 Btuh. Dollar wise they are about the same per gallon."

Benncool, you are right about the btuh difference but price is a regional thing. Here in Maine propane is actually going for a little more per gallon than oil right now, so money wise oil is king around here. Go to another state and propane may win out over oil, even with the btuh difference. Up here it's all about how many btus you can get for the $$$ Yes condensing oil furnaces are a bad idea, water vapor plus sulphur equals sulphuric acid
    Maybe in the future they will get the kinks worked out of these, till then I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole

I just checked. I'm paying 2.249/gallon of propane, and my neighbor is paying 1.96/gallon for oil. Big difference, actually.

What about the age of the region? The northeast has oil because that was the popular fuel source when the area was being populated and I believe people have just stuck with it... and it was and still is popular because most regions of the northeast are close to shipping ports which can bring in heating oil and companies can distribute it in the northeast cheaper than loading it into trains to go cross country...

sorry for restarting a thread, off sick today with virus causing extensive toilet paper usage...

Originally posted by cde72
    sorry for restarting a thread, off sick today with virus causing extensive toilet paper usage...
    Yes ,that belongs in an entirely different thread!

Good points about the northeasts oil use,though. If it was available in Texas,then it would be used. But why isnt it available?

The Propane mafia,maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast