Confused

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the gas(fuel) field, but i want to learn more about refrigeration.

I bought this book called "Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning" 18th edition.

Ok this book sucks! I mean the material is everywhere, it doesnt go step by step in explaination. It jumps left and right, its a mess. Is there any other books someone can recommend me? Or online literature?

I think that is a great book and its very extensive. You can try Doolins trouble shooting guide or check our the ACCA web sites book store.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

"Heating and Cooling Essentials" is a good one for step by step learning.I dont remember the authors name but that is the title.

Then,the ARI textbook "Refrigeration and Air Conditioning"
    another good one.

I agree that book (Modern)was made to sell advertisments,or something....pitiful

thanks guys...i will check around on google for those books. I really prefer step by step books, that dont have material shuffled everywhere.

Try Heating and cooling essentials by jerry killinger, its a very good book and easy to understand.

I learned alot from that book.

Ive got that book . Mine is probably an older edition but its got everything in it.

you may get the basics from another book but keep that one around for future reference

Modern Refrigeration & Air Conditioning by Althouse & Turnquist is a very, very poor textbook. It was one of the very first and therefore is well known and is therefore recommended by many in our business. Many technicians grew up on it as I did but that was when there were no alternatives. It is ok as a reference book but is a poor textbook.

Although there are better textbooks, there is no single textbook that will be complete as there is no perfect book on any subject. I have over a hundred books on HVAC and each has things that the others do not.

Jerry's book "Heating and Cooling Essentials" is a good basic book. "Refrigeration and Air Conditioning" by ARI is a pretty good textbook. It would be easy to give you a list of good books that would set you back several hundred dollars depending upon what you are looking for.

Norm

Dam now thats funny. I have 2- versons of modern refrigeration, 1 from the seventies and one about 2001. I got the 2001 one just to see how much new stuff was in it from the old one. I always thought they really sucked at the way they are layed out but I thought it was just me. I too have a lot of books I have collected over the last 30 years of being in this field but it always amazes me how many books you buy, always trying to pick up something new and you just end up with a lot of books that you know in your heart were a waste of money.What I would give for a place like barnes & noble to stock books like these so we could really see if they are worth buying. A lot of the authors probably wouldnt like that tho. I know what sultan says about wanting step by step.....I like that better too . Oh well I hope more put in names of books that they thought were good.

Here is my list of recommended books

http://www.bacharach-training.com/norm/recommended.htm

Originally posted by NormChris

Modern Refrigeration & Air Conditioning by Althouse & Turnquist is a very, very poor textbook. .

Norm
    I totally agree about the "MR&AC" book. I've never understood why so many on this board like the book. A textbook I much prefer is "Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology" by William Johnson (et al). It's a much better and practical book for a technician. You can buy a new copy of the old 3rd edition on Ebay cheap if you're patient and bid carefully. There's a seller called the "99cent book store" that always has a copy up for bid (right now as a matter of fact). They go for anywhere from $5 to $30. Just do an Ebay search for "99 cent book refrigeration air condition technology".