Post Likes

No vent for gas fireplace?

Is there a reason no vent or ventilation of any kind were put in to a home with a gas fireplace? Is there something I am missing or was this just a hack job?

Post Likes
    Dumb Question: Is there a Chimney?
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingandairOH View Post
    Is there a reason no vent or ventilation of any kind were put in to a home with a gas fireplace? Is there something I am missing or was this just a hack job?

Post Likes
    Yes there are vent free fireplaces. I have no clue why anyone would want one. I have heard for efficiency but if you read the instructions you are suppose to open a window when operating.
    There is no such thing as a dumb question.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Provide the make and model off the rating plate. If this house is of relatively new construction meaning double pane windows, insulation and weatherization it probably would not qualify to have a ventfree gas appliance in that house. There are strict requirements on house construction, makeup air, ventilation rates, etc. that nobody pays attention to.

There are two camps with ventfree: you either love them or hate them-no middle ground. Some, who don't like them call them "lung vented" or "the Kervorkian Option". They have markedly increased requirements for clearances to combustibles, too.

On the rating plate, you should see an ANSI Std. it was listed to such as Z21.11.2b for ventfree, Z21.88 for direct vent fireplaces, Z.21.60 for vented logs, etc.