Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Now I really feel ashamed. I thought I was the only one wrapped up in the job!

Dave: What can I ever to to make up for the spelling error you can bet that I will never do that again!

now what was that that you said about spelling errors?

If you wire things like you spell my name, please don't wire anything anymore, for the sake of all.

Unless a locazl regualtion exists forbidding it, thed inspector should have no

I guess I will have company in that spelling class now wont I

I type very fast, and, when directly addressing another poster, spell their name correctly.

I'm also a very experienced electrician.

Your suggestions suggest that you are not, but feel comfortable enough in your own incompetence to offer advice to another, without a full grasp of the situation.

Take heart, it was not really your spelling I was questioning, in fact, for the most part, your spelling is much better than most. It's your knowledge, so calm down.

Have a ducky night.

[Edited by condenseddave on 12-20-2004 at 08:49 PM]

Again I apologize. After rereading the thread I realize everyone posting knows exactly what I was refering to. Hope to bring a problem sometime that only yuhauls can help with! Only wish we worked out of the same shop!

Just thinking about delta 3 phase ticks me off

Jayzus- Just take out the 3-phase brkr, put in a single pole- not on the wild leg(should be 'B' phase if present) and you'll be OK if the system is set up for an unbalanced load. If this is a service from the POCO, then 3-Ph 4W should be OK to use for 120 v load. If this is from a transformer on the building side of the distribution, check the transformer for a 208Y120 secondary setup. It really isn't the best way- to run a single phase load from a 3-pole brkr. Theoretically, the breaker should trip across all three if the load on one leg exceeds, but I don't think I would want to responsible for re-engineering the circuit. Also 240 volt 3 phase isn't as common as 208Y120 3 phase, are you sure that's what it is? Is the breaker even sized properly? Wait a minute, you say the cooler runs on 120/240 v? Why are you trying to hook up 120? you could use 2 legs of that 3-ph for 230/240.

I am not sure if I was clear on some things. The system that had just been purchased is a cooler that uses 120v to power the lights and evap fan, the 240 runs the compressor. The power for this unit is two 120v lines and a neutral and a ground. The power supply for both the 120/240 should come from a single phase 240 breaker.

I did not have proper voltage so when I opened the panel I found that a 3 phase breaker which was running a walk in freezer was the source for the only 120v volt line going to my 240 outlet.

I appears that this 120v line was running a small 120v freezer unit that burnt up two compressors before it caught fire.
    I just wanted know what detrimental effects there would there be on the equipment, the 120v or 3phase buy sharing a power supply to both 3 phase and 120v off the same 3-phase breaker
    The obvious is obvious

So to clarify-
    There is a 3-ph brkr of some size running a freezer(what is size?) and there is your piece of equip, a 120/240 1-ph machine that has a 240 v condensing unit and a 120 v evap and lights(what is the fla of that?). Is that correct?
    the freezer(3-ph) and your unit(1-ph) are connected to the same breaker? Or is it just the one unit that has both cooler and freezer description?

" So to clarify-
    There is a 3-ph brkr of some size running a freezer(what is size?) and there is your piece of equip, a 120/240 1-ph machine that has a 240 v condensing unit and a 120 v evap and lights(what is the fla of that?). Is that correct?
    the freezer(3-ph) and your unit(1-ph) are connected to the same breaker? Or is it just the one unit that has both cooler and freezer description"

There is a 3ph breaker running a 3ph freezer, the 120v line taken off one leg of the 3ph breaker was for another 120v freezer that burnt up. I just wanted to know what would be the effect on the equipment when connected like this? Good, bad or does not matter? I am told they put two compressors in the 120v freezer before it burnt up, I will not connect the new 120/208-240 cooler until a dedicated 240 breaker for this cooler is put in the panel by a licensed electrician.

I just want to know what I am talking about when the owner tells me to do a temporary hookup like his maintenance guy does. As far as the amp rating of the equipment goes I am not going to pursue it because I will not do this kind of jury-rigging. I hope this is enough info. Thanks
    The obvious is obvious

i would post but now i'm scared of condenseddave.(i hope its speled right). Seems he's the only expert on here so the rest of us just sit back and listen..He'll teach us how to spel better and about electrical stuff!

Sorry to beat a dead horse- I was trying to get a handle on what size power draw we were taliking about, and whether the units were even comparable or not.
    This gets more interesting- I wonder what the effect of having a extra compressor load on one leg does to the 3-ph freezer- I'll bet there's a helluva drop in V when either unit starts. Also you have a psc or cap start type of motor load on same leg as a 3-ph(no capacitive reactance) motor load. Lots of counter emf issues- I couldn't even guess what the energy looks like on that leg when both compressors start at same time or lead/lag each other.I also do not wonder about the burnt compressor.

as far as what to tell the owner: In the end-I agree- let the sparkies deal with this turd-polisher. It can his maintenance man's problem.

Originally posted by bodab20
    i would post but now i'm scared of condenseddave.(i hope its speled right). Seems he's the only expert on here so the rest of us just sit back and listen..He'll teach us how to spel better and about electrical stuff!
    You are a very gay guy, but thanks for posting nothing at all. You're a grand help, and a tribute to your sexual preference.

Originally posted by rimek

This gets more interesting- I wonder what the effect of having a extra compressor load on one leg does to the 3-ph freezer- I'll bet there's a helluva drop in V when either unit starts.
    Yeah, I would imagine that you could run into some severe heating issues at the operating load, while the starting load is trying to become an operating load.

Earlier in this train wreck, I was attempting to convey the "normal" and/or "acceptable" use of a single leg of three phase to power a receptacle, or another part of a mulit-voltage machine, and, IIRC, I used the common electric clothes drier as an example of something that would have a 240/120 Volt requirement from one single circuit breaker. (A 2 pole, in that case) THAT is normal, and acceptable.

Now, if I understand you correctly, JRC, you're seeing a 3 phase freezer, being powered by a 3 phase breaker. That same three phase breaker has a phase being used to power a DIFFERENT, 120V freezer? If that is the case, that's not normal, or acceptable, and would constitute a code violation, if for nothing else, for circuit overloading. I mean, unless the 3 phase breaker is the same size as the maximum overcurrent protection of the 120V unit...

Am I on the right track to understanding what you have there?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast