Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    Here is a news flash for all of the employees out there, without a company to work for, you wouldn't have a job.

If you guys think its so easy to run a business, start your own.

It is amazing the lack of respect employees show their employers and the attitude that the company owes the employee anything other than a paycheck for the work they do.
    Wow, everyone should be an owner, who will do the actual work that brings the cash to the company?

So you might be saying it takes both? Maybe good employers and good employees?

Yes the only thing I'm owed at the end of the week is a paycheck. But, if you want my loyality and respect, you have to be loyal and respectful to me.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Do all the contractors who frequent your "wholesale" business know you sell to people in this way? Do the manufacturers of that equipment know you are selling to people in this manner?

Respect is a two way street, only met at an intersection where each knows the rules and boundaries.

The biggest whiners about side jobbing Ive ever known were business owners who worked on the side when they were employed by a company.

Some of these guys I have known pretty much robbed their company blind building up stock for their own company launch.....and I even know of at least one guy who when he decided to strike out on his own was putting his own stickers on customers equipment that he was repairing for his employer.

Now they run their own crews and they are scared to death that one of their employers might dare do to them what they themselves did to their employer.

I dont work on the side....but I have...and my employer knew it and was fine with it.

I turn down all sorts of work.....but about the only thing Ill do on the side now is a repair for someone down and out.....make em pay for parts....and sometimes Ill even spring for the part.

Just aint got it in me anymore. I could use the extra cash....but once you reach a certain age it just takes too much of a toll on you.

Do that sidework while your in your 20s and 30s and save that money.....dont blow it.
    One things for _______ sure, ________ rock didnt land on ______ sorry ___. That ___ __ _ _____ wasnt nowhere near _______ a _______ years ago. __ aint even a ______, __ is half _______ and half ________.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    Just a guess but I bet you wouldn't sell refrigerant to an individual unless they were epa certified to buy refrigerant and you had their card on file.
    Nope. Anyone can get a CFC card. That doesn't mean you know how to properly use it. Had a guy call today asking about taking the section 608 test. Asked him what company he was with. He said "No company..I'm just a homeowner." Told him "Sorry, even with the card, unless you can present a valid state mechanical contractors license and city business licence, or you are employed by a licenced contractor, we will not sell refrigerant to you." He then asked "So that means I can't buy equipment either?" "Exactly.", I said. Without the proper licencing, that card doesn't mean squat.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I would think the supply house would need a letter from the mechanical contractor with allowing his employees to buy equipment.

Selling equipment to a mechanical contracors employees is the same as selling to any hack off the street.
    So what you are saying is that are perfectly qualified to work for the contractor, but if a family member or next door neighbor needs a new unit or repairs to an existing one, they all of a sudden are unqualified hacks?

Quote Originally Posted by counterflunky View Post
    So what you are saying is that are perfectly qualified to work for the contractor, but if a family member or next door neighbor needs a new unit or repairs to an existing one, they all of a sudden are unqualified hacks?
    They are relying on the contractors license that allows him to buy equipment.

If they want to act as a contractor they should get the license, insurance and all of the other things that go into it.

helping out a family member is one thing, doing side jobs that take away work from contractors is another thing.

How many guys doing side jobs are using their employers equipment. contacts and time?

No need to compicate this. Many who are posting are obviously owners and side work takes $$$$ away from them. But from what I've seen many workers have and will continue to do what is best for them. I haven't been doing this long but I've never seen a tech turn down a side job, its money for them and I don't think they worry about the poor boss driving his fancy car on his vacation in the middle of the summer.
    Knowledge is Truth.

How do you know who they are buying it for?

My employees can buy their equipment thru the company for family members and I would even help them put it in.

Neighbors are the "general public" and where I draw the line.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

I must have been better paid then I thought. I had many customers ask me what it would cost them for me to do it on the side. I always quoted about twice what the company bid was. It's would be on my time. And my time is very important to me.

I did a several jobs for my family or close friends. It wasn't a problem for the company, and I even did jobs for the owners family.

I may be a little different as I spent years as a service manager and had to order and see the cost of all the supplies. But I left more tools of my own with the company when I left. i didn't take any company tools with me.

Now that I have my own company I would love to have a few of the tools I had access to when I worked for someone else. Now I just make due. It may be a little slower but I feel good about it.

I have never had a problem with a tech helping family or close friends, but you don't have close friends with problems every weekend.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

My company suppliers simply set up a separate account for me...never had a problem blowing up a house or burning out a compressor since.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

If the side jobber gets hurt on the job, who pays his medical bills? I have never seen side job workmans' comp.
    poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    No need to compicate this. Many who are posting are obviously owners and side work takes $$$$ away from them. But from what I've seen many workers have and will continue to do what is best for them. I haven't been doing this long but I've never seen a tech turn down a side job, its money for them and I don't think they worry about the poor boss driving his fancy car on his vacation in the middle of the summer.
    I turn down side work all the time.

The people that want side work are cheap SOBs. Why would I want to work on my time for less than I'd work at my OT rate.

My acid test if I'd do side work for someone is if I could drop my kid off at their house in an emergency with out notice. If yes, they qualify for me to look at their problem equipment. If no, they have to go through the company I work for.

I've had countless people think I'd do side work and even knock on my door at home. Everyone from demanding I sell them a part off the truck to moving their furnaces to a new location during a remodel. Some have thought of me as an ******* for not jumping at the chance to provide them cheap labor. These are the people that think my employer is ripping them off with his high prices, but would roast me if something goes wrong. The same people that think you are the greatest guy in the world, but be dead on your butt the first time the system fails. Screw them.

Back to the loyalty, I don't worry about getting forty hours per week year round. I earn my keep, for the year, if not in the winter when times are slow, but definitely in the summer. If I did not have that loyalty from my employer then I'd have plenty of time for side work even for the cheap SOBs.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12