Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.....

Customer came in yesterday wanting to return a slab coil we bought for him for a side job on a brand we don't stock. Things were OK until I took a look at the date on the original sales ticket....... February, 2009!

I asked him why he was returning it, and he said that it wouldn't work for what he wanted to do, even though it was the material that he had asked us to order for him.

When I mentioned the original sales date to him, his reaction was "Yeah?". I asked when he found out it wasn't going to be what he wanted, he said "I tried to use it six months after I bought it." And why didn't he bring it back as soon as he discovered that it wasn't what he wanted? "Oh, I just set it aside and just thought about bringing it back." It's not like he never comes in here...he's here at least once, twice a week for the service company he works for. I mentioned to him that there was a very good chance that the vendor we bought it from was not going to take it back because of the amount of time that had passed since the original sale date (20 months), and his reaction was "Well I don't want to take a total loss, maybe they will pro-rate it or something."

I called the vendor, and of course the first words were "Man...that's almost two years! Gimmie a minute, and let me talk to the parts manager" The response was what I expected. "If he had brought it back within three months, no problem, but almost two years....no, we can't take it back."

I called the customer and told him that he had waited too long and that it could not be returned he asked "Well what do I do with it?" I told him, "What ever you want to....it's yours."

So now he is out $ because he sat on a special order part.

Remember guys....if it's not right, get it back to the supply house ASAP!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-28-2010 at 06:01 AM. Reason: price

Why are you selling to guy for side jobs? tell him you will send a credit to his owner.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Why are you selling to guy for side jobs? tell him you will send a credit to his owner.
    Unless we get a letter from the company owner specifically saying that he forbids his people from doing side work, we'll sell to the guy....personal cash sale on a miscellaneous sale ticket.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not the job of the supply house to monitor what someone's employees do.

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Hopefully if my dad needs a new diconnect on his condenser I can replace it through my supplier without a hassle. Actually I know I can. I don't do coils or condensers on the side, but electrical parts all day long.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

@Flange:

One of my AC guys asked me to go pick up some freon for him while he was working on my large 20 ton water chiller (I own the building, no nothing about ACs). The people at the AC supply store treated me like dirt since I wasn't an "approved customer". I totally see the point in selling to licensed contractors but they could have been nicer about it.

Luckily they called my guy and he gave them the okay to sell me the freon, or I would have wasted my time. I realize freon might be more strictly regulated but they would have treated me the same way if I went in to buy a bolt or thermostat.

What I'm getting at, by using a different type of example, is why the attitude towards someone that isn't the 'owner'. The guy is an AC guy. What's wrong with selling him a part? It's like the store(s) want to be some small tight exclusive club. Geeze

(Sorry if that comes off as grumpy, but I'm in real estate and see the same thing where Brokers -- and agents -- try so hard to protect their own professional bubble that the needs of the customer often come second)
    Last edited by fatproperty; 10-28-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by fatproperty View Post
    @Flange:

One of my AC guys asked me to go pick up some freon for him while he was working on my large 20 ton water chiller (I own the building, no nothing about ACs). The people at the AC supply store treated me like dirt since I wasn't an "approved customer". I totally see the point in selling to licensed contractors but they could have been nicer about it.

Luckily they called my guy and he gave them the okay to sell me the freon, or I would have wasted my time. I realize freon might be more strictly regulated but they would have treated me the same way if I went in to buy a bolt or thermostat.

What I'm getting at, by using a different type of example, is why the attitude towards someone that isn't the 'owner'. The guy is an AC guy. What's wrong with selling him a part? It's like the store(s) want to be some small tight exclusive club. Geeze

(Sorry if that comes off as grumpy, but I'm in real estate and see the same thing where Brokers -- and agents -- try so hard to protect their own professional bubble that the needs of the customer often come second)
    It is not in the best interest of a wholesaler, or contractor for that matter, to sell to unlicensed/inexperienced people. How many thermostats are returned because they are installed incorrectly? I have a tough enough time trailing the wake of destruction left behind by people that should know what they are doing but don't! It can never pay to sell parts or equipment to someone who thinks they know how to install it, just by looking at the pictures. That's what retailers are for.

By the way, counterflunky, I have a 2 ton cased slab coil in my garage from 1997... Interested?

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Gruntly....thanks for the offer on the coil, but I'll pass. Decent of you to offer, though.

To Fatproperty: The "professional bubble" is there to protect both the licenced contractor and the supply house. I sell an electrical part to some Johnny homeowner and he burns his house down, guess who a sharp lawyer is going to come after for selling that unqualified person that particular electrical part. My ass and my job aren't worth it.

We would perfer that the contractors customer don't even know where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by counterflunky View Post
    Gruntly....thanks for the offer on the coil, but I'll pass. Decent of you to offer, though.

To Fatproperty: The "professional bubble" is there to protect both the licenced contractor and the supply house. I sell an electrical part to some Johnny homeowner and he burns his house down, guess who a sharp lawyer is going to come after for selling that unqualified person that particular electrical part. My ass and my job aren't worth it.

We would perfer that the contractors customer don't even know where we are.
    Just a guess but I bet you wouldn't sell refrigerant to an individual unless they were epa certified to buy refrigerant and you had their card on file.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Unless we get a letter from the company owner specifically saying that he forbids his people from doing side work, we'll sell to the guy....personal cash sale on a miscellaneous sale ticket.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not the job of the supply house to monitor what someone's employees do.
    I would think the supply house would need a letter from the mechanical contractor with allowing his employees to buy equipment.

Selling equipment to a mechanical contracors employees is the same as selling to any hack off the street.

Does your "Company Owners" know that is your policy? I worked at a company where the manager found out our main distributor was selling sidejob equipment to employees....the **** hit the fan that day!
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

whats the big deal? well, lets see. there is a liability issue if the sidejobber burns down a house. there is a legal issue since you are helping them cheat the irs, your state, and possibly your local town by not paying income taxes on the "sidejob". there is the ethical issue since you knowingly allow him to compete with his boss, except he isnt really "competing", since he most likely pays no taxes, has no insurances, etc. if he effs up some home, and the owner has a good lawyer, they will sue your company for selling to unlicensed people, they will sue the hvac company, since his truck was used in the event, and anyone else they can find. I have seen it happen. the "sidejobber" likely would lose any savings they have and have an attachment to future wages to repay the loss. its just dumb.

on top of all that, many of these guys go around belittling real business owners for being "too expensive". if only they, and you, knew the damage that does.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    I can agree with your arguments, but want to point out that no one owes another person in this country.

It's amazing the lack of respect employees get from the people that they are employed by.

Here is a news flash for all you "owners". With out a skilled work force, you would not have what you have now, a business.

It's all about attitude and respect.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    I can agree with your arguments, but want to point out that no one owes another person in this country.

It's amazing the lack of respect employees get from the people that they are employed by.

Here is a news flash for all you "owners". With out a skilled work force, you would not have what you have now, a business.

It's all about attitude and respect.
    Here is a news flash for all of the employees out there, without a company to work for, you wouldn't have a job.

If you guys think its so easy to run a business, start your own.

It is amazing the lack of respect employees show their employers and the attitude that the company owes the employee anything other than a paycheck for the work they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast