Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pneumatic guys - Diverting and Reversing Relay ??s

Took over a building with some pneumatic VAVs, and found a bunch of these 'Diverting Relays' and some 'Reversing Relays' as well.

Not sure exactly what these do, or how they work...Did a web search, but didn't find much info.

Anyone know what these are all about?

Thanks.
    MJB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I like turbos

Names differ, even by brand.
    A diverting relay could be a pressure selector relay. 2 different input pressure sources, 1 output. The control will control either the higher signal or the lower signal depending on which control is installed.
    A reversing relay may have 1 input, 1 output, and main air. As the input presure changes the output pressure changes in direct opposite proportion.
    Give us the number off that control and somebody will ID for you.

Also could be a biasing relay (like a pilot positioner). Robertshaw/ Siebe i think, need #s.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    Names differ, even by brand.
    A diverting relay could be a pressure selector relay. 2 different input pressure sources, 1 output. The control will control either the higher signal or the lower signal depending on which control is installed.
    A reversing relay may have 1 input, 1 output, and main air. As the input presure changes the output pressure changes in direct opposite proportion.
    Give us the number off that control and somebody will ID for you.
    That sounds like you're on the right track. I believe this building used to have two different pressures depending on if it were heating or cooling. Found two separate regulators tied into the old abandoned TAC control system (The building has new McQuays with BACNet control now).

I'm gathering that when the unit was set to 'heat' that it would switch to the lower pressure so that the VAVs would 'know' it was in the heating mode and to basically switch functions.

I'll get the #s off the controllers...We've seen two different types...Small black ones with a KMC tag on it...and these larger tan ones. Some say 'reversing relay' others say 'diverting relay'....

Would love to switch some of these out to DDC so I can get some control over the areas.
    I like turbos

Diverting Relays

Diverting relays were often used to accomplish a complex task. The example I remember best is a fire alarm interface to pneumatics. When an area had a fire alarm the vav's could be set to shut down or open all the way to ventilate an area.

Reversing relays were usually used to allow one controller to operate devices with different actions.

For example you have a reverse acting thermostat controlling a normally open VAV box with a reversing relay to reverse the signal to a normally open reheat valve.
    Law Of The Thermostat: He who has the thermostat wins!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo50mike View Post
    Took over a building with some pneumatic VAVs, and found a bunch of these 'Diverting Relays' and some 'Reversing Relays' as well.

Not sure exactly what these do, or how they work...Did a web search, but didn't find much info.

Anyone know what these are all about?

Thanks.
    MJB
    looks like a robertshaw. will need # to tell you what it is and how it works.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Is that wireflex on the box inlet? I hope you like correcting duct issues as much as turbo's mike.

looks to be a R503-3 ROBERTSHAW diverting relay ( most werre made by KMC ) its SPDT non adjustable.
    Newer part was # R403-3 for Robertshaw and now TAC 2353-503

http://www2.tac.com/data/internal/da.../F_24550_1.pdf

single duct w/ reheats or double duct? large tan ones sound like kreuter static pres controls. whats the action of the stats?

Large TAN one as in his picture is the RS R503 diverting relay and not static pressure.

your right c man that's a 503 didn't notice picture last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast