Is there or will there be a tire shortage?

Needed to replace a few tires on the wifey's car this morning. I called my tire guy to set up the install a few days ago. When I arrived this morning he said they missed the truck. He called and they only had two of the tires I was looking for, Michelin Sports. He went to pick them up across town and I returned a few hours later.

We had a conversation while they were put on the car and he said for the last few months he has noticed a large increase of "out of stock" notifications on his most common tire sizes. Not just manufacturers mind you but sizes of all brands.

He was told to expect more shortages and by the end of the year to expect to be in a waiting line for tires as long as several weeks to a month or more. Said it was not due to a material shortage but simply the manufacturers are cutting back on production even though there is a demand.

Anyone else see or hear the same?

Going to make getting service truck tires tough next year.

I've been waiting till Dec. to get my truck tires changed. Have done all the other trucks that were due done already. Thanks for the heads up, I'll order mine tomorrow.
    Don 't like running on worn tires, all in all cheap insurance.

I was told by my tire guy to get all the sizes and number of sets needed and he would store them for me. Of course I have to pay for them when they come in.

Now... although I don't want to start a snatch and grab or stampede, this is just a discussion and others may have more information.

I don't know about the smaller sizes, but some of the larger off road tires have been out of stock for several months because of Denman going under.
    Zach

Chinese demand (where have we heard that before) and a poor rubber harvest in Asia

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...mand/112285/on

Hadn't heard of a shortage but article in the paper said prices are going way up

Why not, they learned from the oil companies. Make less, whoa, now there's a demand, charge more... simple!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I don't carry an inventory so I haven't keep up on it. Is some inventory tax on the list of things for this year?

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don't think there is a shortage in Canada, in my city all the car dealers as well as the tire chains are advertising new tires like crazy in the newspapers.