Climate Master pcb need replacing?

I'm a homeowner with a ten year old ClimateMaster geothermal heat pump. I decided to try a new, more local, company to service my unit this year. The technician, who seemed very knowledgeable, showed me some areas that were discolored on the circuit boards inside the unit, which he said were for the compressors. He said those discolored areas indicated the diodes were overheating, which he said happens a lot, but could cause them to fail. He said I should consider replacing one or both boards. No one else has ever mentioned this before. I'm not an electrician, but I do know that diodes tend to heat up, so I'm thinking this might really be normal. I'd appreciate any input on this since I don't want to have my heat pump go out this winter but also don't want to spend money on something that's not necessary. The discoloration is sort of coffee colored. Definitely not charred, but darker than the rest of the board, and located right around the electrical component on each board that he said was the diode.

Thanks for your advice.

If you can live with back-up heat,I wouldn't change the boards.
    If you have electric strips, and you're worried about exsessive utility bills if the Heat Pump goes out, I'd change them out.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Usually resistors that get hot and not at all unusual to see discoloration on a board under them. I wouldn't replace it til the board dies.

It will go out at some point. When? I don't know.

Unless they have changed things on the new board, like resistor wattage, it will look the same before too long.

I wasn't there so I don't want to second guess the tech that saw it. But if the wire connections are showing heat you could be in trouble sooner rather then later.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

That discoloration happens within the first year but the average lifespan of that board is about 10 years. They mostly fail with a "low 24v supply voltage" lockout but usually can limp along by resetting power to the board. I'd wait until the failure.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your help. I hadn't even thought that the backup heat would still work even if a board went out. Guess I'll wait and save my money until something actually breaks.