Want to get into HVAC, have questions
    I am thinking of getting into HVAC engineering. I don't know much about it, I would like to know, what the average income is, how much travel is involved, and what I would have to do about going to college? I mean, do I have to go for basic engineering and then for HVAc engineering or what? I'm sorry if I sound inexperienced, but I am. : )

I never heard of an HVAC engineering course that is taken. I'd imagine it would take some time to become an engineer for this field. I really don't think there is any specific course you can take that will make you an engineer, You'll have to start you way into the basics of refrigeration and progressivley get into more advanced courses. This will take some time.
    As far as income, don't expect to get paid experienced engineer wages, this also will take some time.

There are BS degrees in HVAC offered by Ferris State, Penn College and Vaterott College. Otherwise, many get an ME degree and then work in the HVAC engineering field and pick up the specifics on the job.

Norm

What would my income be if I did that? I mean, would I be able to make at least enough to get along with doing what you are saying about?

oh, and what is a BS degree and a ME degree?

BS is a Bachelor of Science degree and ME is Mechanical Engineering. EE degree would be Electrical Engineering.

So what would you suggest, Should I go to school for basic engineering? What would come after that?

It is not possible to give you solid advice without knowing a great deal more about you, your interests, your previous educational background, your grades and your current understanding of what HVAC actually is.

I taught HVAC fulltime for nearl 20 years and have given a great deal of career advice to many folks, but I always had the advantage of being able to sit down face to face with them and ask lots of questions before providing some direction.

I think you need to see a good HVAC instructor as well as a college counselor and get some direction on a personal face to face level.

Norm

Originally posted by psu927
    Should I go to school for basic engineering? What would come after that?
    A long time in school with empty pockets

good advice I am a tech in the field and it took me a year to get a technical certification and another year for a associates degree in hvac if you are looking to get into designing new systems and such you need to learn the basics as it is the field technicians which you would be dealing with.
    when we are in the field we have specific questions as to the pressure and tempeture settings on a system and questions as to how to trouble shoot a particular type of system most depend on the type of refrigerant and the tonnage. look into a good local college offering hvac certification then if you find it to be of interest you have a base to build on

Keep working. Friendly advice. Keep on working. Dont look back. Dont look down. Keep working.

If someone is willing to fund your dream of an ME degree, then humor them and go for it.

But if you have to do this on your own, without someone to front you the money ...... you will be a student for a very long time.
    Unless you are first hand involved in the industry prior to becoming an ME who designs HVAC/R systems, your designs will not bring you nice results.

You must have knowledge of this from a hands on viewpoint prior to setting down to AutoCAD.

Keep on working.